Female bettas have dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It IS an actual shell in there. I've had it for years, just sitting out as a decoration, and I thought it would look pretty in the tank, so I soaked it for a couple days in the water treated with Aqua Safe, and then added it to the tank. It's Marina's favorite hiding place, so I transferred it to the qt tank. Do you really think it could be a problem? If so, I'll remove it...I've got other natural deco in the tropical tank too, for hiding places. A couple smaller shells, like regular mussel shells, and a couple big, pretty rocks. Is it bad to use those things in a tank, even after soaking them in the treated water beforehand?

It's hard to be sure about the shell. IMO, I would not have it in my tank. Also, decorations should not be transferred back and forth from QT to the main tank. I have a separate set of silk plants that I use in QT as needed.

So, here's what you could do if you really like the shell: You need a pH test kit. I like the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kits for ammonia, and nitrate, GH and KH. But for pH I like Wardley. I thought the color range was easier to differentiate. Test the pH of tap water that you just poured. Now pour some tap water into a cup and let it sit for 24 hours. This is called "aging". Test the pH again after the aging period.

Get a container big enough for the shell to fit in, fill with water and let age. Put the shell in, and test the pH after 24 hours, and then to be sure, test after a few more days. If the pH does not change after about a week, meaning that minimal mineral dissolving is happening, it should be safe for the tank. To do a double check, you could also test with a GH/KH kit.

For the rocks, you could try to test them with the pH method too. Or you could get some muratic acid, available at a place like Home Depot, and pour just a little bit on the rock. If it fizzes, it should not be used in the tank. If it doesn't fizz, the rock is inert and will be ok in the tank. If you got the rock at an lfs, it should be safe for a tank. If you collected it yourself, you should do a check on it.

Well, I lost Marina yesterday evening when I went to do a water change :cry: She was bloated beyond reason, and I was going to do a small water change and soak her in an epsom salt bath for the swelling, but by the time I was done siphoning the water out, she had died. I guess getting the water stirred up was the last straw.

I had to get some things from Wal-Mart last night, and I HAD to check and see if they'd gotten any new female bettas...they hadn't. Probably just as well. I really shouldn't get anymore fish until I have the tanks stabilized at least, and when I DO get any fish, I really REALLY should NOT get them from Wal-Mart. I saw a gorgeous male betta there, and I was almost snookered...I could tell he had black spot disease, and I SO wanted to bring him home and take care of him! I knew that would entail alot more than just bringing him home and throwing him in a bowl with some meds...it would mean more tanks somewhere down the line :p I settled for a couple new houseplants :wink:

Kari, I'm so sorry to hear about Marina...you did everything that you possibly could. She had a good life with you.

Kudos to you for taking the time to learn about your fish, and for not getting more until you're ready with the tanks!

I hope you'll try again with more bettas when you're ready. In the meantime, houseplants are pretty cool! :)

I'll definately get more bettas when I can, I really can't wait to get more females, I really miss the ones I had. No more males (unless I happen to lose some of the ones I already have.) Then again, I guess if I ever hope to have betta babies, I'd have to settle for males too! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom