Female dwarf Gourami, red gills, bottom of tank, motionless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've just got home to find my female dwarf gourami sitting on the bottom of the tank, red gills, not moving (yes it is alive!), but doesnt look like it will live. Its only really moving its eyes.

Ive had 3 of these now, and they all seem to die after a couple of months. I've had both males and females do this.

Over due weekly water change by two days, (i'll do that now) but the parameters wont be bad, my bioload is not that heavy.

What action should i take? Other fish are not pestering her at all.
Any help is greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
David.

Sorry to hear that...I see in your sig that you have a planted tank. Is this where the gourami is? You'll want to put her in a QT tank for treatment - the plants won't like the meds.

The gill redness could be due to parasites in the gills - do any other fish have symptoms? Parasites usually affect more than one fish. If she's the only one that is ill, it may be a bacterial infection. Try using an antibiotic in QT and make sure the water is well-oxygenated - add an airstone, or better yet, another filter to the QT tank for some water movement.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I really dont think she will live, and am starting to think i need to put her to sleep. I've just had another look, one of her eyes is all white, now she is standing almost on end, barely moving. Only her mouth occasionally moves. There are some scales around her on the substrate, and other fish have started attacking her a bit. Its really horrible.

Yes she is the only one affected. All others are fine.

I think im going to have to take action. But how should i do it? I've read about freezing cold water?

Thank you for your help.

Yes, an icy bath should do the trick and will be a lot less painfull then what shes going through now. I'm sorry for your loss :(

That is so sad. :(

I have done the cold water and freeze method, it seems to be relatively painless for the poor fish.

Thanks. It's really not nice, my rams are pecking at it, and lifting it in the water, i have protected it with my net and put it in a quiet area of my tank. I just cant understand how this has happened so quickly.

I have put some water in the freezer with ice in it, i dont wanna do it too quickly that it isnt cold enough, and i dont want to leave it any longer!

Im thinking that afterwards i will feel guilty, 'maybe i could have saved it'. But i have had a gourami like this before, it was not as bad as this one, i moved it into a small hospital tank, and it died overnight. I'm sure this little girl isnt going to make it.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the support.
I think she was gone by the time i put her into the iced water. Still cant believe how it came on so quickly! She did seem a bit quite, but nothing alarming. Then suddenly, motionless, red gills, then white eyes, even less movement, then gone. It has to some kind of internal bacteria or parasite. Although all my other fish are fine.
Nvm, its all part of owning fish, im sure the majority of us have to deal with this at least once.

Back
Top Bottom