Female guppy tail issues and neon tetra probs too :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BellyBelly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need some help with a female guppy who's backbone is not straight - it has dropped quite dramatically and it's tail is drooping. All the other fish are fine, in fact she's been like this for some time and outlived many other fish. There was a time the lights needed replacing and I was wondering if she didnt get enough light and this has been a problem with her bones but is there anything I can do or is the damage done?

Also, I recently purchased some neon tetras and their body / eyes etc often turn red like it's bloodshot. It wasn't too bad today, I turned the light off and had to switch it on tonight to check on some babies and the red was very bad. It seems to come and go. What could this be and what can I do? All the other fish in my tank are healthy and fine, my bristlenose catfish are breeding like crazy as are my guppies. But my poor neons and my one female guppy are not so happy.

4 guppies
2 bristlenose
1 molly
6 neon tetras
2 corydoras

I think my tank is about 80-90L? PH is fine, should really check hardness but it's never really been a problem. We've just moved and I need to dig out my kit.

Welcome to AA!

First off, light has nothing to do with bones or metabolism, so don't worry about that. You can leave fish in the dark for a week, or month, and they'd be fine (if not just a lil upset) ;)

Secondly, genetic defomities are, sadly, common in guppies. They are often times inbred so much, that the genes start to go bad. The symptoms you describe with the drooping and not straight spine, are classic symptoms.

With the neon tetras, is the red eyes only in the morning/when you turn your lights on? You should try and keep your lights on some sort of schedule.

Definitley dig out your test kit and test your water. That will help lots.

Back
Top Bottom