Fin problem with male betta...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my male bettas has a problem with a bottom fin. This is not Bert, but one of my daughter's bettas. He is in a two gallon tank with a sponge filter, java moss, and a "cave" for hiding/sleeping in. I just did a water change on Sunday and vaccuumed gravel as I had never done it in his tank before and there was lots of stuff accumulating on the bottom. His only other tankmate is one ramshorn snail.
Now...problem. One of his bottom fins looks torn and is growing something "moldy" looking on it. It isn't very big, but I justed noticed it as I passed the tank. I can't get out this evening for medicine....what should I do??
BTW - water parameters are perfect. Just tested nitrites and ammonia...both 0...I'm puzzled.

I just searched fin rot on google and came up with a perfect picture of what is on my daughter's betta....so it is fin rot. What medicine is best for that? I just don't understand how this could happen with his water parameters being perfect....

Is there a heater in this tank? Water temperature fluctuations cause stress, which leads to finrot.

I have used Jungle Fungus Eliminator (a yellow powder) before with success. It has anti-fungal and antibacterial medicines combined, and it doesn't seem to cause stress to the labyrinth organ the way some meds can.

Is there a heater in this tank? Water temperature fluctuations cause stress, which leads to finrot.

I have used Jungle Fungus Eliminator (a yellow powder) before with success. It has anti-fungal and antibacterial medicines combined, and it doesn't seem to cause stress to the labyrinth organ the way some meds can.
I have a 7.5w heater (one of those with no dial on it...I can't remember the name, but it is preset I guess) but I don't keep it in there for fear it will get too hot....is that possible? He is in a 2g tank. His temps usually run in the mid 70's, but possibly could fall some during the night...although we keep our thermostat on 78 all of the time.
My worry with using medication is will it kill of the beneficial bacteria in the tank?
Thanks for replying so quickly. I am worried about what to do about it this evening until I get to the store tomorrow....is there anything I can try from home? I don't think a water change will help as the parameters are perfect....

I also have that little heater. It's a Hydor brand. It can get too hot - I have measured the temperature at about 85 degrees when it is in use. Don't place an incandescent light above the tank with this heater - that will definitely cause the temperature to get too hot.

Mid-70s are a bit cool for a betta. If the temp falls during the night, then that is enough of a fluctuation, every night, to cause stress over time. Also, a small volume of water doesn't hold its temperature very well.

The label on the medicine may say that it doesn't harm the biological filter, but to be on the safe side, it's best to treat with meds in a different tank.

Don't worry about getting to the lfs until tomorrow. Tonight you could try to stablilize the temperature overnight - wrapping a towel around and over the tank may help.

A heater that I have used in a 2.5 gallon tank is the Visitherm Deluxe 25-watt heater. It's a glass heater so you have to unplug it when doing a water change, but it was accurate and not too warm in that size tank.

I also have that little heater. It's a Hydor brand. It can get too hot - I have measured the temperature at about 85 degrees when it is in use. Don't place an incandescent light above the tank with this heater - that will definitely cause the temperature to get too hot.

Mid-70s are a bit cool for a betta. If the temp falls during the night, then that is enough of a fluctuation, every night, to cause stress over time. Also, a small volume of water doesn't hold its temperature very well.

The label on the medicine may say that it doesn't harm the biological filter, but to be on the safe side, it's best to treat with meds in a different tank.

Don't worry about getting to the lfs until tomorrow. Tonight you could try to stablilize the temperature overnight - wrapping a towel around and over the tank may help.

A heater that I have used in a 2.5 gallon tank is the Visitherm Deluxe 25-watt heater. It's a glass heater so you have to unplug it when doing a water change, but it was accurate and not too warm in that size tank.

I went ahead and put the small 7.5w heater in his tank because his thermometer was reading around 75-76. The heater has been in there for about 30 minutes now and I don't see any change in the temp....
Also, I took just a little water out and added new dechlorinated water. I will try the towel wrapping also!

I will pull him out tomorrow and treat him in a hospital tank. Now, after that, do I need to do something to "clean" his tank so he doesn't get re-infected when I put him back in? If I do that, will the tank go through a whole new cycle?

Finrot can be caused by dirty water, but your tests came out fine. So I wouldn't worry too much about the tank needing to be cleaned out. He was under stress, probably from the temperature flucuation, and succumbed to the "bad" bacteria that are present everywhere. It's similar to us getting a cold when we're overworked/overextended. I would do a 30% or so water change before you put him back in the main tank. When he is in the QT tank, put a little bit of food in the main tank to sustain the bacteria.

Finrot can be caused by dirty water, but your tests came out fine. So I wouldn't worry too much about the tank needing to be cleaned out. He was under stress, probably from the temperature flucuation, and succumbed to the "bad" bacteria that are present everywhere. It's similar to us getting a cold when we're overworked/overextended. I would do a 30% or so water change before you put him back in the main tank. When he is in the QT tank, put a little bit of food in the main tank to sustain the bacteria.

How long do they need to be out of the tank and in a hospital tank for fin rot? Also, does anything need to be in the hospital tank with him (like used media from his tank) or can it just be a bare tank? I don't have a spare sponge filter I could put in there either, is that okay?
His temperature stayed pretty steady all night with the towel wrapped around his tank, around 78 degrees it looks like. I just took the towel off and plugged the heater back in as it wasn't getting it over 80 last night before I went to bed. I just examined his back fins and the piece that was torn and moldy looking is gone, but there are other jagged edges on the back fin and I can see that moldly look to them, though not as bad.
Thanks for all of the advice An t-iasg!

The hospital tank doesn't need substrate or a filter with a betta. A heater would be a good idea, though. Read the Jungle label directions - I think it says to give a dose and then four days later do a water change and give a second dose if necessary. I used to give the first dose, and then instead of waiting 4 days, I did a 50% water change every other day that the betta was in there. I added a half dose back in on the days I did a water change.

You said the fin piece that looked bad is gone - that may be a good sign. The diseased part of the fin can drop off like that. When you start the meds, don't be surprised if more diseased fin tissue drops off. Then the newly-grown, healthy areas will appear. That will look like a clear to whitish "skin" around the fin border. They will soon grow and get some color back.

Good luck!

An t-iasg,
I just got him into his hospital tank. I put in a bubble air stone, a small heater, and some moss for him to sleep in. Other than that the tank is bare. I ended up getting bettafix for him....I have to treat his water every day for a week and then do a 50% water change on his other tank before I put him back in....I hope it works, I think I caught it early enough hopefully!!

I have never had any luck with this med. Maybe it will work better for you. This med is a less-concentrated version of Melafix. Melafix stressed my betta by irritating the labyrinth organ. Bettafix is not as strong, but watch out for signs of stress.

ooohhhh....ugghhh....so I need to get the Jungle fungus eliminator?? Won't it stress him to move him again and refill the hospital tank and acclimate him again to that and then add him back to the hospital tank? Now, I don't know what to do? What signs of stress should I be looking for, other than gasping at the surface? I haven't looked at him this morning. I did peak to check his temperature as I was getting my coffee and it was reading 80 with the small heater and he looked to be sleeping in his moss. If the moldy stuff is still on him this morning, should I assume that this medicine isn't working and go get the jungle stuff?

I just checked him this morning and he is looking good. I don't see any fuzz or moldy stuff on his anymore.....I guess that means it is working. Now, should I keep this up for 7 days like the bottle says? It calls for dosing his tank with 3/4 of a teaspoon for 7 days with the bettafix. I guess that is what I should do then, huh?
He ate very well when I fed him and he seems to be acting fine. His temp says a steady 80 with the floating thermometer.

My betta dropped like a rock to the bottom of the bowl after this treatment. I immediately changed all his water and he recovered. This was several years ago also. I don't remember the dosages I used although I assume I followed the directions!

If it seems to be working, then just follow the label directions for the dosage and time of treatment duration, watching out for any gasping or lethargy - which is a good idea to watch out for when using any med.

My betta dropped like a rock to the bottom of the bowl after this treatment. I immediately changed all his water and he recovered. This was several years ago also. I don't remember the dosages I used although I assume I followed the directions!

If it seems to be working, then just follow the label directions for the dosage and time of treatment duration, watching out for any gasping or lethargy - which is a good idea to watch out for when using any med.

He hasn't dropped...but he does stay down in his moss until I come up to the tank and then he will swim around. Does that sound like he is okay? He also ate with great gusto this morning.

Yes, that sounds ok. As the week goes on and more med is in the tank for a higher concentration, then you may need to watch closely.

Yes, that sounds ok. As the week goes on and more med is in the tank for a higher concentration, then you may need to watch closely.
OK...I dread later today when I have to add more to his tank. If he doesn't take it well, do I just get him out of the tanks as fast as I can and then clean it out and try some other medicine?

If he's doing fine, don't worry. If he starts acting stressed, then yes, I would do a complete water change and try another med, if needed at that point.

Back
Top Bottom