fin repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i'm glad to say i think my serpae's fin nipping habit has finally come to an end. i thought this once before and they proved me wrong, so we'll see. in the meantime, i would like to help my other fish's fins have a speedy recovery from their encounter with the little devil serpae's! lone told me once, but i seem to have deleted the pm, so.... what products are best for fin repair?

Like lonewolf said, use both melafix and pimafix. I have read that if you combine them they both work better than they would have alone.

The directions for use are on the bottles. I used the mela/pimafix combo to rescue a black molly. She has since regrown her entire dorsal fin and gave birth last night. So, I didn't have to feed my cichlids this morning ;)

igongora said:
I have a guppy without its fin.. I guess my angel was after it.. :) would this products help me get my guppy fin back?

A good chance, yes. What it does is inhibit any infections, and gives the fins a much better chance of growing back properly and fully. But the ultimate factor is the fish's health and stress level. If stressed and doesn't look healthy, good chance they won't make it. But if you QT him and use Pimafix and Melafix, and not have the stress of larger fish beating him up, should grow back just fine. My roselines that were missing part of their tails are now almost completely grown back, and has only been just over 2 weeks.

I'm having fin biting problems with my two gourami's. May have to give those products a try. Thanks.

It is also important to keep the water very clean. If you wanted a wound on your foot to heal, you would keep it clean, wouldn't you? Same concept.

Apocalypse_Gold said:
It is also important to keep the water very clean. If you wanted a wound on your foot to heal, you would keep it clean, wouldn't you? Same concept.

Very true. Water quality is very important.

no one has mentioned the first step would be to eliminate the problem. A cure will only last until it happens again, and unfortunatly, i don't believe it will ever cease.
I have also had great success with the melafix/primafix combo and as mentioned it is essential to begin with prestine water conditions.

Apocalypse_Gold said:

Good analogy!

Whenever I treat with Melafix, I do a 25% water change every other day.
Keeping the water clean will help prevent secondary infections from setting in. Melafix/Pimafix are mild astringents with some antibacterial properties, but they are pretty much useless against a full-blown infection.

Back
Top Bottom