Fin Rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badbart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Bala Sharks fins are red I assume this is fin rot. But I'm not sure what caused this my water parameters are inline and I do a 25% water change every week. I'm dosing Plant Pack: Fundamentals and Plant Pack: Enhancer, NPK at the recommended dose for my 20 gal planted tank. I was doubling up on the excel. I also have DIY Co2.
I stared doing 25% water changes everyday after I discovered the fin rot. I'm also thinking about cutting way back on the ferts. About two weeks ago I added some drift wood and rocks to the tank but thats the only changed I've made recently. I'm thinking about taking out the rocks and drift wood. Could the co2 cause this?

Here is a pic you can see a little red.

Attachments

• DSC_0049 (2).JPG
    DSC_0049 (2).JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 107
NH3,NH4 0mgl
NO2 > 0.3mgl

I don't have a nitrate reading, the kit I bought doesn't test for nitrate, but my old kit gave me a zero reading a week ago, before I added the lava rocks and drift wood.

I did a 50% water change 4 hours before the test so maybe my readings aren't accurate. From my research it looks like Ammonia Poisoning.

Fish Disease - Ammonia Poisoning

Symptoms:
Fish gasp for breath at the water surface
Purple or red gills
Fish is lethargic
Loss of appetite
Fish lays at the bottom of the tank
Red streaking on the fins or bod

That is what it sounded like to me, but 4 hours should be enough to accurately test. How old is the test kit?

That is what it sounded like to me, but 4 hours should be enough to accurately test. How old is the test kit?

Brand new, but it could have been sitting on the shelf a while. Its Tetra Test Laborett.

So far today I've vacuumed the bottom and did a 50% water change. Should I do anything else? I have Tetra Nitraban, should I use it?

The funny thing is may tank has been set up for 3 months and I tested the water every other day until last week and everything was always ok. I used test strips so maybe the strips were not good or I had a sudden ammonia spike. I have always done 25% weekly water changes.

No I wouldn't add the nitraban. You add dechlorinator when you do water changes?

Test strips are frequently inaccurate. I would do a water change in a couple of days. Do you have an airstone or powerhead in the tank? Sometimes increases oxygen will help.

What size tank is it btw?

No I wouldn't add the nitraban. You add dechlorinator when you do water changes?

Test strips are frequently inaccurate. I would do a water change in a couple of days. Do you have an airstone or powerhead in the tank? Sometimes increases oxygen will help.

What size tank is it btw?

I have well water so i add water conditioner and I turned on the air stone. Its a 20 gallon tank with 8 small fish, the Bala shark is the largest fish.

I wondering if the Excel fert Im using is causing problems, I just added a dose and the fish don't seem to like it. I also tested the Ammonia again and its zero. I'm going to lay off the excel for a while and see what happens.

Now my catdfish has a white eye it is gasping! I have no idea what is going on. I started dosing Melafix and Pimafix to kill any infections. Anyone got any other ideas? The bala shark has a white patch below his top fin. Should I use antibiotics?

Check your ammonia/nitrite levels. Adding treatments will often kill your biofilter.

The water parameters are perfect, I have tested them at least three times a week since i setup the tank. Thats why I think it must be bacterial. I have held off with the treatments because I didn't want to kill my bio filter but I'm running out of options. I've done 3 25% water changes this week and things are getting worse. My bala shark has a red fin with a white patch below the fin, my cat fishes eye is turning white and I have another fish with a bulging white eye. Could my DIY co2 be doing anything?

Back
Top Bottom