Fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenphantom

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have pristine water but there has been alot of stress the last few days read some of my prior posts so my question is what is the best treatment I have some expensive plecos that are affected by it

Could you please type in complete sentences? Your post is confusing running on like that. Are we supposed to read your prior posts to figure out what's wrong with your fish? Could you please post a synopsis here.....

What are your readings?

Tank size? How long ago was tank set up?

What stress?

What other species are in the tank?

Can you post a photo?

Tank sprung a leak about 6 days ago 120 gallons. I had to put all my fish in a 40 gallon tote while I repaired my tank then had to put the fish in the tank after doing 100% water change but I did keep all filter media wet and all decor went into the tote. So I could keep as much bb as I could. All my tests are reading 0s P.H. is at 7.6 but I noticed my royal pleco and snowball pleco both have ragged fins. I went and bought melafix thats all they really had for fin rot. So I gotta take my carbon out and was curious as to what to do with my magnum 350 canister filter it has the liner and inside the liner is carbon the carbon will come out but my question is do I just take the carbon out and leave the sleeve in the pad whatever it is or should I take it all out and out that paper filter in? I thought I needed to leave that blue liner stuff in there for the bb I am lost??? Also sorry about the grammar never did good in english

Greenphantom said:
Tank sprung a leak about 6 days ago 120 gallons. I had to put all my fish in a 40 gallon tote while I repaired my tank then had to put the fish in the tank after doing 100% water change but I did keep all filter media wet and all decor went into the tote. So I could keep as much bb as I could. All my tests are reading 0s P.H. is at 7.6 but I noticed my royal pleco and snowball pleco both have ragged fins. I went and bought melafix thats all they really had for fin rot. So I gotta take my carbon out and was curious as to what to do with my magnum 350 canister filter it has the liner and inside the liner is carbon the carbon will come out but my question is do I just take the carbon out and leave the sleeve in the pad whatever it is or should I take it all out and out that paper filter in? I thought I needed to leave that blue liner stuff in there for the bb I am lost??? Also sorry about the grammar never did good in english

Look at the tail of the royal and look at the spine fin on the nugget

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120628_202514.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120628_202514.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 66
  • ForumRunner_20120628_202536.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120628_202536.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 54
What test kit are you using? You should have nitrate readings.

I can definitely see why they are stressed with all that moving around.

For the fin rot, just try some clean water. I would do water changes, 50%, every other day. Add some Garlic Guard or Vita-Chem to their food (soak food in it). That will help build their immune system. Clean water is the best fix for fin rot unless there are underlying issues.

I can't help with your filter, as I've not heard of that sleeve you refer to. I don't use carbon. Many fishkeepers don't.

Ok I have the api master test kit and it has read 0s on everything except p.h. since I got it I follow the directions to the T do you think it could be faulty(the test kit)? I started treating the tank with melafix it says to treat 7 days and so a 25% water change on last day. I did this before your response I did not wanna loose any fish my snow ball is looking pretty bad his back fin is red now. Should I do the water changes even with the meds in and just redose when I do the water changes?

I'd be doing lots of big water changes, that doesn't look good at all. Are you sure that this tote didn't leach anything? I've always used salt to treat fin rot, I've never treated plecos this way though, so I suggest digging around to see what others have used on theirs.

It was a clear plastic rubber maid tote and these seem to be the only 2 affected by it and you think I should do these large water changes with meds in in it? The directions say treat for 7 days then do a 25% water change I have had fish for years the only sickness I ve had over the years is ich so I dont know what to do:(

Melafix/Pimafix are just herbal remedies, not actual medications. I wouldn't put much faith in them. And fresh clean water through water changes is far more important than keeping a certain level of melafix in the tank.

When you test for nitrates, you have to bang and bash the reagent bottle on a table or countertop. Otherwise, it crystalizes and you get false readings.

Bash it, and test again.

Do the water changes. Your fish are suffering.

LyndaB said:
When you test for nitrates, you have to bang and bash the reagent bottle on a table or countertop. Otherwise, it crystalizes and you get false readings.

Bash it, and test again.

Do the water changes. Your fish are suffering.
so water changes and add the melafix or just water changes and no melafix?

I tested again and did what one of the op told me to do and shake and bang test solution I am still getting 0s on everything except ph 7.6

Back
Top Bottom