Fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
40g planted tank. Guppies tails and top fins rot. Have treated for parasites and antibiotics. Also getting fuzzy on parts if back. They "pinecone" then die.???
Only guppies affected. Have 15 Cory's, Pleco, celestial danios, 1 male Betta

Can you post some pics maybe? Also the following info would help:

Is the tank cycled? What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH?
Are these new fish or have you had them a while?
Are they bloated or wasting away?
Do the fish show any other symptoms (gasping, flashing, not eating, etc)?
Are the fuzzy parts white or reddish or another color?
How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change at a time?
What meds did you use and for how long?

Pine-coning is typically a symptom of dropsy. Fin rot is typically a symptom of poor water quality but can be other things as well. Answering the questions above would help and if you can get some photos that would be a plus.

Tank is 8 months old full cycle Fluvel 406 canister cleaned once a month
Water change every 5 to 7 days at 50%
PH plus -+ 6.8
ammonia zero
nitrite zero
nitrate 30
Fuzzy shows up out of nowhere overnight white
Right before guppies died pinecone
Treated with SEAchem ParaGuard made flashing a 100 % worse they were flashing so I treated for parasite - They are still flashing despite treatment
ParaGard did no good still flashing I treated for Popeyes with erythromycin
For six days
No one else affected but guppies
Danios is okay Corys okay Pleco is okay
I was treating with SECAM ParaGard for Tetrahymena for parasite - ie Guppy disease
Had to put down 3 more guppies today
- Added a tiny bit of ocean salt to water as to not harm Corys but maybe help the guppy - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons - I cannot add too much salt because it's all live plants
I cannot add pictures I get an error message - Exceeded Quota

erythromycin full course treatement had no effect? How many guppies are in there? Is it mostly females that have the fungus like slime? I know it sucks to have your fish get this disease which everyone knows is tough, My only advice is to lower temperature to "chill" the disease and keep water changing and feed them only anti-biotic food and maybe try maracyn 1+2 combo if you still have a lot of fish left. Sounds like your having no fun! Do they have tetrahyema too ? you might just want to destroy them all if that disease is in your tank it will wipe everything out anyways. Clean everything good and start over bcus tetrahyema and columnaris are not good combo to have in your tank. My heart goes out to you as a fellow guppy lover who knows how easy they are to kill! lol

No effect with antiBio or Paraguard. I have about 8 left. I had 1M to 2F combo. Probably about 20/25?? I don't really know how many we're in there. It Affected females first. I'm guessing Tetrahymena. Only explanation.
They were show guppies. All black, cobalt blue. Mixed in strain of endlers Livebearers and got very cool hybrids.
This SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Cory's are ok
Pleco is ok
Betta is ok

Back
Top Bottom