fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazedSaint

Aquarium Advice Freak
kk so i purchased some neon swordtails saturday, got them home and looking them over i noticed one of the fins on my swordtail looked a little rough, but i had just put him in the tank so didnt know if he sustained some sort of damage while in the bag during the ride home or what, but i woke up yesterday and he definatly has fin rot, i know most antibiotics will destroy the good bacteria in my tank, but i dont want the fish to contaminate the environment, what should i do, LFS i got the swords from opens in a few hours so im going to call and bug them, also one of the swords has already died(died last night) its fins looked fine, however the sword that died never settled in(the 2 days it was alive in the tank it really didnt move much and it never ate). so help!

if LFS wont take it back im considering just getting rid of the swordtail that has fin rot before it speads the disease, but this is a last last last last last resort!

doing some research has lead me to Melafix by API, i think im going to try that, anyone have good/bad experiences?

Also i saw someone online say cut if off, this makes me laugh, just wanted to share that little laugh with everyone as well

fin rot isn't contagious and in most cases is the result of bad water conditions. It can also happen because of wounds from fighting. I just lost one of my girls from fighting and the resulting finrot.

fin rot isn't contagious and in most cases is the result of bad water conditions. It can also happen because of wounds from fighting. I just lost one of my girls from fighting and the resulting finrot.

well that is a relief, the contagious part, sorry to hear u lost one tho, i lost a female sword last night, not sure why, but she never really acclimated, but the other 2 swords i put in are doing fine, dispite the fin rot on one, and my water readings are solid, even after adding the swords and 1 flaming dwarf gourami my ammonia/nitrite stayed at 0 and nitrate went up to 40 ppm but then dropped back down to 20ppm(think my plants ate up the nitrate), but i got the swordtail saturday, and it was late saturday night/sunday morning that i noticed the fin rot, so i have to assume it came from the LFS with the Rot, perhaps from a fight(the tank i got it the swords from was very crowded) or even from shipping none the less im upset one swordtail died and one has fin rot, im just hoping the melafix will cure and heal the rot and save the fish!

I tried every thing I could to save mine but my closest lfs is an hour away so I guess I need to just start keeping meds on hand for them. I hate losing fish.

I'm actually in the same boat its an hour drive to my nearest LFS I just stock up when I go and ya I lost one lastnight and it made me sad if I lose the other today I'll be very upset

Back
Top Bottom