Fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherriff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-2421422374.jpg
600l tank home to 6 small angels, 12 Cory and a small school of tetra.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:<20ppm

This angel is gasping at the surface :(
Do I need to treat the whole tank for fin rot?
Thanks guys!

600L? Wow, what a tank.

Although it looks like fin rot, your water parameters are spot on. Fin rot is typically brought on by poor water conditions. Has there been any fighting amongst the angels? Any new additions or changes in equipment?

It's beautiful ♥️
No fighting I have witnessed, and let's face it I watch it ALL THE TIME!
I've changed nothing so I'm a little concerned as my gourami had a blister like problem which was almost dusted in gold and that was a separate tank so I'm gonna cry if it's something to do with the local water (though I use aqua safe to remove amines and chlorides). !!! :'(

Have you tested the water straight from your tap? Do you add any ph buffers, or any chemicals other than dechlorinater?

Not recently, but no I don't add anything else as to keep it stable would be more of a challenge then keeping the fish in my water.

Let's do this, check your water to make sure that doing water changes isn't adding ammonia. Have you or anyone else in the house had any house hold cleaners near the tank? Air freshener?

If there is not ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate in your tank I would do a 50% water change and a thorough vacuuming just to make sure everything is tidy. Check everyone over really well for any signs of ich or velvet.

Other than it usual fault of being liquid concrete there isn't anything else. I'm the only one in my house so definitely nothing been used around the tank (unless the dog decided to spontaneously clean which I doubt!)
No signs if ich and I've no experience with velvet so what would the very early stages look like?

Could the following have been velvet?
Three tanks run off the same sump system so could all be infected you see and these are the fatalities from the other two.

image-3911285467.jpg

image-2260001765.jpg

Well that's the angel dead :'( I don't expect this after several years :'(

Any clues as to what it could be?

All my angels now look like they have crimped fins, kind of wavy.
I have removed another 4 dead fish today. Someone's gotta know what I can do!!!?

image-1062849417.jpg

C'mon someone must help me!
The fish are getting whitish circles on their scales and their fins are clamping up. Help me please!

Are the fins deteriorating at all (like crumbling away/turning white) or are the fish getting sort of a velvety sheen to their scales?

If you suspect fin rot or some other kind of bacterial infection still, I would treat the afflicted fish with Furan-2 + Kanaplex in quarantine. That combination of meds seems to stop a lot of bacterial problems in their tracks.

The fins are turning white, and look crimped (wavy complexion)
With large white circles, not spots, creating a film like appearance.
I have heard of neither of those products here. (Uk) and I am currently treating the whole tank with a general medicine, disease clear.
No improvements though and lots of money going down the drain!!! :'(

What are the ingredients in the Disease Clear? I'd never heard of it and looked it up, but i couldn't find an MSDS for it or anything so I have no idea what is in it, just that it's a general thing.

With how fast you're losing fish that aren't even necessarily looking that ill, you could be dealing with something pretty severe that requires aggressive and targeted treatment. I don't want to sound the columnaris alarm but you may want to google it and look at the pictures to compare to your fish. It's a very nasty thing to deal with and you can start losing fish to it before you even know something is wrong. (Things like this). Rapid fin deterioration can be one of the signs.

Uh ohhh!
Columnaris seems to fit the bill except there isn't any cotton like growths it's just a slimy looking coating...
Oh dear. If all 3tanks have this I'm in trouble right?

Are API products available to you locally? or seachem? You are probably going to need something like furan-2 and kanaplex to treat with. There are similar products out there to them but I'm not sure what they are under the different brands. Best bet there is to look up the ingredients of the ones I mentioned and see what other products have that. Ive seen folks mention maracyn as well in discussions about this but I don't have any experience with that one.

Just to update you, I have two fish remaining. I will be shutting down my tanks now.
Thanks to everyone who helped! And I may return to this forum one day, until then farewell!!!

Back
Top Bottom