Fin rot??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh dear. My guppy with the fin rot is not looking good. He's breathing quickly and sitting at the bottom of the tank. I did a 50% PWC 2 days ago. Params reasonable - 0 trites, 10 trates, looks like maybe a teeny bit of ammonia, around .10 most likely due to having to change filter cartridge for the treatments.

Meth blue arriving tomorrow. Anything I should do today? Another water change? The water is still REALLY dark red. I worry the meth blue is going to make the water super dark.....

The only thing I know of there is if you have a small QT or large bucket they can go into.

Then they can just sit there by themselves with no stress and fingers crossed.

Sorry I'm a little late. Personally, I'd hold off on any meds as I'm a firm believer in multiple, daily WC's. I would increase your WC's to at least 50%, 2x/day. With that schedule you should see marked improvement in 24-36 hours. Continue for 5 days at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Sorry I'm a little late. Personally, I'd hold off on any meds as I'm a firm believer in multiple, daily WC's. I would increase your WC's to at least 50%, 2x/day. With that schedule you should see marked improvement in 24-36 hours. Continue for 5 days at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Thanks for the input however sadly a moot point now - lost him overnight :(

Methy blue will suprise you how well it works, for stearilizing things and for killing fungal infections.
Just make sure to aearate and use in a seperate tank because it will kill all Benfical bacteria.
The reason male guppies tails get like that is because they get a lack of blood flow to the tail, because they are breed to have huge tails, but in nature they are tiny and their bodies are not designed to deal with such a huge tail. Its really noting to worry about, its completely normal, if it gets bad put them in a sepearte ten gallon tank with the 5ml of metheleyne blue per day (or just monitor it to keep it medium to dark blue) and an airstone and heater, and do a PWC every other day to keep ammonia down until it clears up, usually about a week.
Ive also read in a book on guppies somewhere that thier tails will split because of a sudden change in temperature or water quality. Its mostly just unsightly thing to look at, it wont spread to his offspring and if you use the M. Blue and keep the main tank cleaner it will go away.

Methy blue will suprise you how well it works, for stearilizing things and for killing fungal infections.
Just make sure to aearate and use in a seperate tank because it will kill all Benfical bacteria.
The reason male guppies tails get like that is because they get a lack of blood flow to the tail, because they are breed to have huge tails, but in nature they are tiny and their bodies are not designed to deal with such a huge tail. Its really noting to worry about, its completely normal, if it gets bad put them in a sepearte ten gallon tank with the 5ml of metheleyne blue per day (or just monitor it to keep it medium to dark blue) and an airstone and heater, and do a PWC every other day to keep ammonia down until it clears up, usually about a week.
Ive also read in a book on guppies somewhere that thier tails will split because of a sudden change in temperature or water quality. Its mostly just unsightly thing to look at, it wont spread to his offspring and if you use the M. Blue and keep the main tank cleaner it will go away.

Great thanks! One thing I'm not sure about though - how do you know when it's fin rot/fungal infections or if it's just what you said about their tails being long? Is it just that if you see white it's fungal, if not it's just because the tail is long?

White on fish is always fungal.
Bacterial tail rot is rare, and its brown.
Fungus does go hand in hand with columnaris or other bacterial infections. But the bacteria is inside the fish in the stomach and gills, where as fungus just eats away at injured parts of a fish.
If its killing your fish the methylene can be combined with salt and any type of Gram-negative Antibiotic. Keep it warm and clean in there, PWC and they should be O.K.
You could also try a product called "Rid ICH"
It contains malachite green and formalin, both effective for parasites and fungus.

Back
Top Bottom