Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsbrawley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started adding fish to my cycled tank, my water parameters are fine 0,0, & 10. But the Guppy I added started to look like he had fin rot the day after adding him to he tank. Pics are below, I'm curious about how I should proceed.

IMG_1480988322.502416.jpgIMG_1480988338.582879.jpg

Hard for me to see from pictures. I know its hard to get guppy pictures. Imo I cant say im certain its fin rot. I see a few areas that look like the tail might have been nipped.

You said he is new. Have you witnessed anyone picking on him? What else is in the tank ?

No, I've been watching close and nothing has been nipping at him. 6 Black neon Tetra and 4 Cories. It is very tough to get a picture, but it's clear there is at least 2 splits in the tail. One larger, one smaller.

IMG_1480989416.783012.jpg

Best picture I can get of the two splits I'm concerned with.

If its fin rot. Pristine water is the key. Lots of wc.

If its fin rot. Pristine water is the key. Lots of wc.

from my experience, water changes are the best options.
i know there's a lot of misconception around melafix, but if the fin rot gets worse and is persistent, it can work great. the only real link between melafix and problems associated with it come from dosage error. so i'd even underdose just to be sure.

from my experience, water changes are the best options.
i know there's a lot of misconception around melafix, but if the fin rot gets worse and is persistent, it can work great. the only real link between melafix and problems associated with it come from dosage error. so i'd even underdose just to be sure.

i want to add that in this case, considering it is new fish acclimating and you'd probably have to hospitalize the fish with fin rot to treat it, id say medications like melafix shouldn't be your first option.

Would there be a problem with treating the entire tank with melafix, as opposed to hospitalizing the Guppy, if it comes to that.

Would there be a problem with treating the entire tank with melafix, as opposed to hospitalizing the Guppy, if it comes to that.

you would have to take out the carbon in your filter and you'd be putting medication into a tank with fish that don't need it.

if treating for worsening fin rot, i would say set up a hospital tank with a light bubbler and do 50% water changes daily, water at the same temp. taking the guppy out with a cup that's never been washed with soap(i use plastic red cups and use a new one every time) and change out the water and balance the temperature. straight up melafix is hard to really accurately dose because it's at a high concentration. i would use betta fix, which is very watered down, and be EXTREMELY careful with dosing.

the most effective way i found while treating fin rot was a mixture of daily water changes of melafix/a little aquarium salt.

if you use salt, make sure to keep the salinity the same. i would use 1/4 teaspoon of salt a gallon. you can follow the dosage suggestion on the betafix, but i'd underdose to be safe.

like i said before, he's probably just getting acclimated. unless it gets to the point that there are open red sores, large tears or major parts of fin missing, keep it basic. pwc daily is your best friend right now.

Melafix is very good, it's natural smells horrible, aggression is probably happening when you go into your night cycle, sit back away from the tank if you have Lunars turn them on and watch if you don't maybe turn on a low light so you can see in, you have to be far away they are like children they will behave when being watched but act up when no one's looking, what other fish are in the tank

methylene blue not only works better, but is cheaper, and its proven to work for bacterial/fungal external rotting of the fins. But you would have to use it in a separate container
http://www.petmountain.com/photos/product/giant/114420S518539/-/4-oz-treats-240-gallons-.jpg
Should be about 6-10 dollars at a fish only type store, or order online.
Ive never been a big fan of the "fixes" tho in your case it may work since your fish has an INJURY and not a Infection.

Back
Top Bottom