Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta_Lover97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_5688.jpgIMG_5844.jpg

The first pic was taken on Aug 19, and the other one is today, Aug 29.

I just recently noticed it. So, what should I do? Should I get the salt thing for him or just try to keep the water clean and wait? I'm kinda worried.

What ever is wrong with your betta, it doesn't look very serious. Clean water is the best treatment and preventative for fin rot. If the condition gets worse you might try Melafix. It won't disrupt your BB. Good luck.

There is really nothing you can do for a minor case of fungal decay like this.
It happens to fancy bread fish with larger than nature intended blood supply to the fins.
If anything take it out and put it in a bath with some methylene blue for a few hours every day for a few days, should be all it really needs.

There is really nothing you can do for a minor case of fungal decay like this.

It happens to fancy bread fish with larger than nature intended blood supply to the fins.

If anything take it out and put it in a bath with some methylene blue for a few hours every day for a few days, should be all it really needs.

Is it the same thing as Melafix and Bettafix?

What ever is wrong with your betta, it doesn't look very serious. Clean water is the best treatment and preventative for fin rot. If the condition gets worse you might try Melafix. It won't disrupt your BB. Good luck.

Just dump it into the tank?

Not the methylene blue. It's okay to administer Melafix in your tank.

No methylene blue is what they put in toilets and outhouse. ON a better note than that, they use it in science and in injections, its harmless, but it does kill everything bacteria/fungus/parasite wise.
And it stains bad, use in bare bottom hospital tank only, but it is eco-friendly easy on fish and cheap.

I finally got my hands on a bottle of Bettafix. So, how to properly use it?

By the way, I'm starting to put the medicine directly into my betta's 3gal home, but I wanna know if there's way to put less medicine?
Like move him into a smaller bowl or sth, so that I don't have to use medicine as much as I'm putting into his tank now?

I couldn't find any other medicine except Bettafix. That's why I bought only that.

I think Bettafix is virtually the same thing as Melafix. It's some type of tea tree extract that has anti biotic, anti fungal properties. It's like an all natural antiseptic. It's not toxic like for example, Formalin. It's okay to use as directed in your main tank. If you want to medicate your Betta in a smaller tank that's okay too, just be sure to fill the smaller container with aged tank water.

I think Bettafix is virtually the same thing as Melafix. It's some type of tea tree extract that has anti biotic, anti fungal properties. It's like an all natural antiseptic. It's not toxic like for example, Formalin. It's okay to use as directed in your main tank. If you want to medicate your Betta in a smaller tank that's okay too, just be sure to fill the smaller container with aged tank water.

I heard Bettafix is the diluted version of Metafix. Some got good result from it, and some didn't.

I also saw a video on YouTube. He used both the aq salt and Bettafix at the same time. He also said that Bettafix doesn't really help with fin rot. All it does is to help betta heal faster, but it doesn't get rid of fin rot itself?

By the way, how do I know if the medicine is working?

I honestly have to idea of what or where to look for.

Just like any injury on any creature it takes time to heal. If the fish begins to look and act normally you can assume the medication worked.

Just like any injury on any creature it takes time to heal. If the fish begins to look and act normally you can assume the medication worked.

I didn’t notice anything with his behavior to begin with. I knew he has fin rot only because his fin look different.
Plus, you guys help me diagnose him.

Back
Top Bottom