Fin Rot!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahrose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My beta has fin rot pretty bad. I’ve treated it once with the betta fix and it seemed to have stopped it for a little while, but then about two days ago I noticed it had gotten even worse! I don’t know what to do. IMG_5434.jpgIMG_5442.jpg

Alright, don't use betta fix! It's contains tea tree oil which is actually damaging to labyrinth organ fish (betta, gourami, etc) I would like for a different medicine and probably increase heat and add a touch of salt

Fin rot is normally caused by poor water conditions. I would try to do more regular water changes until the fins start to repair themselves. I never had much luck with fish medicine. Aquarium salt can help as long as you don't have any other fish in your tank that are sensitive.

Well very sorry to see this. Actually I never able to save my fish when they have fin rot. I tried medicines specially made for fin rot but no use.

Aoart from poor quality there is also another reason for fin rot that if a fish is being bullied and nipped by other fish then it can have fin rot.

Test water, keep clean! Meds can harm them even more. And salt will not filter out of the tank. If you use salt be careful. I highly recommend water changes, doubling conditioner, and check (test) water every few days. Watch him alot! A non-active Betta is unhappy.

I think my betta has started to get this. I checked ammonia level and it was high. I changed our water and levels are all normal again. IMG_4846.jpg

I don't think that's fin rot. Looks more like melt. He could be getting it sucked up into the filter and pulling away, making it rip off. Unless you got other fish in that tank nipping at him. Or things in the tank his tail is snagging on.Fin rot on a Betta is black tips.

I have him in a 1 gallon tank and I do a 25% water change every week and a full water change every three weeks. I don’t have anything to check the water. He’s still just as active and his appetite hasn’t changed since I got him.

I wanna move him to a 5 gallon but I don’t have the money to do so right now.

I understand, do you have anything bigger. Clear tote maybe. I got a 10 gallon at Walmart for $15. Check Walmart for a 5 gallon. Thought I seen them for $8 not sure. But for now. Look for something clear, plastic or glass and alittle bigger around the house, just so your water changes will be doing something to help out alittle. It would be better for him. It don't have to be pretty, just clean. A big vase, big jar, bigger container. Anything.

Back
Top Bottom