Fin Rot!!!Betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Revenantwing

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Betta just got fin rot i dont get whats the problem. His water parameters are good and i changed his water everyday for the past week and a half. How did he get it fin rot? D: and how can i treat it?

Is the tank cycled? Is it heated? Is there leftover food? How bad is the rot? If it isn't to bad you could consider getting some stress coat and using that. If not, some people recommend Melafix. You need anti-biotics for a gram negative bacteria. But I think anti-biotics should be your last resort.

Tank is not cycled. I just got into aquariums recently and didnt know about it until now. Yes its heated, according to my thermometer 80 F looks like the rot is one part of the tail. What types of stress coats should i use (brands)? thanx for the help

Ok so are the water parameters good or is that tank not cycled? What exactly are the water parameters..do you have a test kit? Adding a bunch of meds may possibly just stress him out worse. First before treating the problem you have to identify what it is. Could very likely be ammonia in which case lots of water changes are necessary.

Frayed fins can also be a sign of high ammonia levels in the tank. Check your water parameters to find out where you stand, BEFORE you start adding medications. It ammonia levels are high start doing 50% PWC daily until it is under control. You may need to use some Seachem Prime if they won't come down.

If your levels are OK, it may be fin rot. I'd bet that since your tank isn't cycled yet, they probably aren't.

Fin rot IS usually brought about by poor water quality (high nitrates), which in turn stresses your fish. Once stressed they become susceptible to bacterial infections. This kind of infection is caused by gram-negative type bacteria.

If you catch it in the early stages, a teaspoon of salt/gallon of water can help stop it. Otherwise you'd need antibiotic treatments with products like Maracyn II, bettafix, Jungle Fungus Eliminator or Tetracycline. Don't use regular Maracyn, which is used against gram-positive bacterial infections. That is what your good bacteria are and you don't want to kill them off now! If you have to treat the tank, do it after your water changes. Be sure to remove any charcoal from the filter while treating the tank with medications.

Make sure that you are treating the right thing. i.e. ammonia poisoning or fin rot. You have some time yet if it is fin rot. Don't throw medications at it in the hopes it will go away. Be sure of what you are treating first.

ive changed his water everyday and yes my water is very clean and ammonia free.
Parameters
PH 7.2
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
ammonia 0

i just saw the fin rot when i woke up and its only on 1 fin. It doesnt look that bad though but i want him in good health.

Sounds like a good idea. Make sure to get a filter and some healthy medium to get that tank going.

Also make sure that it isn't just a tear in the fin. Betta's fins are very sensitive and are prone to tearing on plastic plants and decor. I use the nylon test on everything I put in my bettas tanks..if nylon is snagged when running it over the item, then it will snag the fins. I file sharp edges on decor with a metal nail file. I have some fake plants that are fine with the bettas but just be careful with them.

Back
Top Bottom