Fin Rot...FML

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becrac16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I posted a while back on how I have been losing my small panda corys like nobody's business, well after some looking I have decided it is fin rot. A couple of the babies from the store came into my tank with it, I had just figured they were battered up from something but after viewing some pictures I think it is fin rot. So far I have lost 2-3 pandas from this (one I can't seem to find...) and I don't want to lose any more. I have on-hand some melafix and aquarium salt. What should I do? I will get water qualities up in a bit (I just did them about 2 weeks ago -before adding fish- and they were good)

Please help!

Water quality is paramount. Clean water will allow healing. What size tank?, how long setup?, stocking? water change schedule and amounts?, feeding routine?, etc. Please tell us more about your tank.

Ammonia is at 0 but nitrate is at 160 mg/L, which it says is more than harmful. I will start doing water changes like crazy I guess. Should I add melafix or salt too?

It is a 55 gal, I've had fish in it for a little over a year but just recently decided to switch it over to planted, so the fish (6-7 corys-panda and something else- tiny bristlenose pleco, and just yesterday a school of 8 rummynose tetras)

I guess I have been feeding a lot, I do because I feel that it is difficult for the corys to get to the food in a big tank in 20 minutes, so I usually feed about 3 tiny sinking wafers and leave it overnight. I think the real kicker though is the wafers I feed to my bristlenose, they're huge and def made for big guys. I will prob cut those into 4ths.

I wouldn't add anything other than dechlor and clean, temp matched water.

Reduce feeding and up the water changes / gravel vacs.

Back
Top Bottom