Fin rot help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenema

Aquarium Advice Activist
My betta has sadly had fin rot for quite a while now (a few months). I have tried aquarium salt treatments and he was dosed with Melafix for 9 days and nothing seems to be helping. Do you guys have any suggestions on a different medicine that will get the job done or should I just dose with Melafix again for longer?

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1420476647089.jpg
    1420476647089.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 1420476675763.jpg
    1420476675763.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 59
Well.. Whenever my Africans have fin damage (which is a lot of the time), I just make sure the water is top notch.

I have tried Melafix, Stress Coat and multiple other medications and none of them seem to do anything.

If the Melafix is helping you then by all means keep dosing, I'd also test the water and see if anything's out of whack.

If so then just do daily water changes to get it sorted and the fish will pull through on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You'd really be best on getting a proper tank with heat and filtration. That coupled with weekly wc's will do wonders. How often you change water in the bowl? Melafix is a major nono with bettas as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He is only in there to be treated, he normally lives in a 5 gallon. All of the water conditions are where they should be. He gets a 25% water changes daily in the bowl, except when I was dosing Melafix.

Ok great:) so stop using melafix, no joke, it's horrible on labyrinth organs.. I'd reccomend getting him back in the tank with a touch of aquarium salt and a weekly 50% wc using prime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay. I haven't used melafix in a week. Thanks for the suggestions.

Its hard to say what type of bacteria it could be. You could get an antibiotic from petsmart or something that deals with fin rot. I think of the top of my head fin rot like this is gram positive bacteria, so anything should work, erythomycin, tetracycline, triple sulfa ect.
The ones you would order would be
Amoxicillin
Penicillin
Ampicillin
Pet stores normally don't carry these 3, but fish stores might!

My very first fish which was a betta, died from fin rot after living over two years. I didn't know until it was too late. Hope he gets better soon!!!!!

Put him back in the tank. Consider adding some Indian Almond Leaves. They are very popular with Betta breeders.

Pristine water conditions are your best hope. Warm, clean water. Live plants, and low stress.

The IALs can be big, you can cut them to size if needed. This is a vid of my Cory habrosus and Shrimp. You can see the IAL in the start. It is rotting in the tank, which is normal. My shrimp LOVE these leaves.
http://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you can't find IAL right away let me know. I'd be willing to mail you a couple via snail mail. Sometimes Petco has it in the reptile section.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will try to find some IAL. I take it I just stick it in the water?

Amazon carries it
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LKTX4VC/ref=pd_aw_sbs_4?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

Several sellers

eBay several sellers
http://m.ebay.com/itm/like/281324264894?lpid=82&chn=ps&varId=580361819199

I've bought from TPT. You must become a member (free) to view sales threads.

Example of current listing
"Indian Almond Leaves- They average about 7-8" with some being a little larger and some a little smaller.

20 IALs for $11 shipped first class mail in an envelope- add $4 for priority shipping in a box.
50 IALs for $24 shipped first class mail in an envelope- add $4 for priority shipping in a box."

I am not selling these. I'm in no way associated with any of the sellers. I'm just showing you there are plenty of sources for these leaves around.
Did you read the Betta page I linked ?

I am not saying one of these leaves is going to be a miracle cure, I just know if you're not treating him right now, it might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
I figure it will be better than nothing. I did, that was actually where I originally went for answers, that's the salt treatment that I have already done. It helped prolong it I think but it didn't get rid of it :-/

Back
Top Bottom