Fin rot medication recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fish with fin rot. What do you recommend for oral meds? Thanks.

Proper treatment of columnaris[aka fin rot] is a gram positive and negative meds together...
Kannamycin National Fish Pharm : Kanamycin Sulfate Powder
and Nitorfurazone National Fish Pharm : Nitrofurazone Powder
Follow the directions from these links...
Use seachem kannaplex Seachem - KanaPlex

and API furan2
Nitrofurazone, Furan 2; For Aquarium, Pond
If not to bad lots of clean water [waterchanges] are a fishes best friend...

Here is info on columnaris...
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

Proper treatment of columnaris[aka fin rot] is a gram positive and negative meds together...
Kannamycin National Fish Pharm : Kanamycin Sulfate Powder
and Nitorfurazone National Fish Pharm : Nitrofurazone Powder
Follow the directions from these links...
Use seachem kannaplex Seachem - KanaPlex

and API furan2
Nitrofurazone, Furan 2; For Aquarium, Pond
If not to bad lots of clean water [waterchanges] are a fishes best friend...

Here is info on columnaris...
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1479428602644.jpg
    1479428602644.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 62
Something like the fish in the picture is just from chasing females around too much and fighting with other males.
Coral's advice is accurate, but like killing a flea with a nuclear bomb. Overkill.
If many fish are this way, and you have rotting fins, body fungus, use the method he explained. Otherwise.....
It Will heal on its own, or if you really feel the need to save the tail, (like a prized breeder or alpha male) you could put it in some methylene blue bath and salt.

Coral, do you think kanamycin works better in the water or in flake?
I ordered some kanamycin flake but didn't seem to work very well......
Ive heard it has poor absorbsition in the gut, but ofc we all know its one of the best absorbed antibiotics in the water column, in hard water and saltwater.

The only time I have ever used medicated food was in a QT for the month with the fish as a precaution.
I would only treat an issue with a real measured amount of meds.
I would never trust a fish [sick or not] to eat the proper amount even if it worked the same????
As for the gup.
Try clean water more often??? Not a sick fish IMO....

So maybe my endler that just passed was attacking the guppy tail? It has been this way for a couple of months but it just got worse before my endler died the other day. I have been having trouble keeping up with water changes the past 3 mos. But I am getting back to it with some help. So you guys feel the fish is NOT sick but injured? Also this is the last main fish other than a snail and Cory cats that keep to themselves. Should I quarantine until it is healed up?

Looks like a good healthy fish in picture.
The tail does not even look that bad??
You know the fish being on even slightly dirty substrate will do that to the fins?
Not unhealthy conditions like ,just as fancy fin fish go they are very delicate...

Water changes will heal /help that fish faster then you think IMO.
I MAKE my fish grow by overfeeding and waterchanging all the time...I breed fish ,this is how it works...Clean water grows fish people, it certainly will regrow a damaged fin.

What was wrong with the endler??
Who else is in the tank with gup?

Looks like a good healthy fish in picture.
The tail does not even look that bad??
You know the fish being on even slightly dirty substrate will do that to the fins?
Not unhealthy conditions like ,just as fancy fin fish go they are very delicate...

Water changes will heal /help that fish faster then you think IMO.
I MAKE my fish grow by overfeeding and waterchanging all the time...I breed fish ,this is how it works...Clean water grows fish people, it certainly will regrow a damaged fin.

What was wrong with the endler??
Who else is in the tank with gup?

I don't have any clue what happened to him. He just died one day. Noting apparently wrong. I got him out ASAP. Looked like he had just died when I removed him. I have a snail and 6 Cory cats.

I picked up erythromycin. It IS indeed bacterial and it is fin rot. Confirmed by the fish store. I will be doing 2 25% pwc this week during the antibiotic cycle. And have scheduled a 25% pwc to be done every 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom