Fin rot on my glowlights dorsil??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ya? If so, how do i treat it? 5 of my 7 glolights have nipped fins, and im starting to wonder why now...help please! Haha

Any ideas? He is the only one with white on the top of a nipped fin so far

But can you see the white in the fin? Ill get a better one later

I can see the white, but can't tell from the picture what it is we're looking at.

What size tank?

Is it cycled? If so, parameters?

What else is in the tank?

How long have the fish been in the tank?

LyndaB said:
I can see the white, but can't tell from the picture what it is we're looking at.

What size tank?

Is it cycled? If so, parameters?

What else is in the tank?

How long have the fish been in the tank?

40 g, cycled for about a month. Ill get the paremeters later, not at home. They have been in there for more then a week. The fins have always been torn, but i just looked closely yesterday and saw white on the end of his ripped doril fin

Quite often, fin rot is due to poor water params. It can also be a symptom of columnaris.

How did you cycle your tank?

Fishless for about 3 weeks. Added the tank starter early on, and just waited! Introduced the glolights 3, then 2
Then 2 (had 7 in a 10g).

So, what did you use for the first 3 weeks?

Then what did you use as "starter"?

As Lynda asked: what did you use for an ammonia source for those three weeks? If you added the bacteria starter and let it run without an ammonia source it isn't cycled. Do you have a test kit to test the water now? If it's fin rot, it's usually caused by poor water quality. What is your water change schedule (how often and how much) and what dechlorinator are you using?

I would start with a 50% water change with a good dechlorinator. FIn rot can sometimes clear itself up with very clean water. That white thing on the fin though, not sure if that's a fungus or if it's getting infected. Again I'd start with a water change and keep your water clean and test the water daily. If you can test the water and let us know the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate it'll help us pinpoint the problem.

librarygirl said:
As Lynda asked: what did you use for an ammonia source for those three weeks? If you added the bacteria starter and let it run without an ammonia source it isn't cycled. Do you have a test kit to test the water now? If it's fin rot, it's usually caused by poor water quality. What is your water change schedule (how often and how much) and what dechlorinator are you using?

I would start with a 50% water change with a good dechlorinator. FIn rot can sometimes clear itself up with very clean water. That white thing on the fin though, not sure if that's a fungus or if it's getting infected. Again I'd start with a water change and keep your water clean and test the water daily. If you can test the water and let us know the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate it'll help us pinpoint the problem.

I used nutrafin cycle. Dont have a tet kit yet, but my lfs has a liquid test kit to test my water..i know, i really need to order one! Haha i do 10-15% every sunday and yes the tank is cycled.

Ok, from these shots it does look more like fin rot to me. But, fugus is an option too. I agree that the cause is usually water quality issues. I would step up the pwc. 10% weekly is pretty small. Librarygirl gave good advise. :)

Nutrafin Cycle is crap. You need to start doing 50% water changes at least twice a week until we can be sure you're really cycled.

LyndaB said:
Nutrafin Cycle is crap. You need to start doing 50% water changes at least twice a week until we can be sure you're really cycled.

Ok sorry (15 charec)

absolutangel04 said:
Ok, from these shots it does look more like fin rot to me. But, fugus is an option too. I agree that the cause is usually water quality issues. I would step up the pwc. 10% weekly is pretty small. Librarygirl gave good advise. :)

Ok, should i move him to my 10g? So what should i do as far as water changes?

The more you move a fish around, the more stressed it will become, the worse any illness will get.

LyndaB said:
The more you move a fish around, the more stressed it will become, the worse any illness will get.

Ok i wont move him. Can this spread? And a 50% today, then 20's every other day after that?

Fin rot may or may not be contagious. It depends on what it's a symptom of. If it's bad water params, then no, it's not contagious. If it's from a disease like columnaris, then yes, the columnaris itself is highly contagious.

If the fin rot is from bad water params, then all the fish are suffering, even though only one may show symptoms. You really need to take care of the tank in order to take care of the fin rot.

K did water change yesterday and tried to go pick up a kit but couldnt. Ill do another today

Ok, got the api master test kit..30 bucks! Haha im goin home to test my water!! But i dont understand why it has chemicals to test like high range ph.. Anyone care to explain? Also, 2 bottles for nitrates? Thanks guys!! It took me pitching in 5 more dollars to buy it, to convince my brother. We both run the tank, ya see. He doesnt understand the importance of the kit but whatever!

Back
Top Bottom