Fin Rot or ...........???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

Want to ask a question regarding something I noticed on a Platy last night. Here's the pertinent info:

20 gall tank........new
Been set up & running for a week
3 Platys introduced on Sat, Oct 8--only inhabitants of tank until it is cycled
Temp at 79
Penguin 150 w/ Biowheel HOB Filter (150 gph)
Added salt at a rate of 1 tbsp per 5 gall
Water conditioner added to remove chlorine/chloramine
Stress Zyme added 10/8
Still no measurable ammonia (tested at 0 last night)

Noticed one of the Platys has pectoral fins (fins on the side of the head??) that appears torn or slightly shredded. All other fins look perfect......appears very healthy otherwise & eats great. On the ends of these fins looks to be very tiny pieces of cotton or "fuzz" (white). Not sure if these fins have been nipped at or if it's an infection of some sort)

I'm not really sure what approach to take to this given that the tank is new/not cycled yet. I don't have a QT tank. Don't want to add a bunch of meds prematurely/unnecessarily. I'd considered taking a "wait & see" approach, but thought I'd ask you more experienced folks if that's reasonable? Or what would the best course of action be?

Thanks so much :D !

Melafix is a good safe bet for any fin damage. It shouldn't affect your cycle. You will have too remove the carbon from your filter (it doesn't do much anyway-many people don't use it except to remove meds). Fin rot and any fin damage has a habit of progressing if left untreated. What ammonia test are you using? The strips aren't very accurate. A good liquid test kit is a good investment.

Thanks! I have Melafix here, I'll try that. I'm using the AP salicylate based liquid tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, & Nitrate. From what I've been told, they're one of the more reliable. Tested again tonight & it's still at 0. Does this seem odd for Day 3??

patagonia, is salt harmful?? I've read varying opinions on the benefits of it, but I've never read anything stating that it's harmful :?: .

i dont know if its harmful or not...i just dont think you need it...i have 2 platies myself and ive never added salt to the tank...unfortunately i didnt know any better when i got them so i cycled my tank with them :? ...they are extremely hardy fish....BUT...you have to keep up with your pwc...i was changing water pretty much everyday...as long as you dont let your ammonia and nitrites get to harmful levels they should be fine...GOOD LUCK! :mrgreen:

You dont need the salt. It won't hurt playts, but you dont need it. If you decide to get cories or loaches or some other scaleless fish then you certainly do not want to add salt.

Thanks for the info about the salt.......I didn't realize it couldn't be used with scaleless fish, so I'll definitely keep that in mind if I decide to get Cories later.

Back
Top Bottom