Fin rot or fin nipping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katefshaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

My male guppys tail is looking really bad. We had another aggressive guppy which we had to return to the lfs a few days ago because he was attacking this guppy. My water is good and it check with Api master test kit. My ammonia and nitrite is at 0 and nitrate is at 0. I've recently done a weeks treatment with melafix to help with the wound. I have red cherry shrimp so I can't use anitiotics or aquarium salt. I have also done a pwc recently 50% according to the instructions on melafix bottle. I was wondering whether this was fin rot or fin nipping because it hasn't got any better?

I'm really worried about him and don't want him to die!

Thanks for your help
Kate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 88
Aggressive Fish

Hello kate...

There are several things you can do to help. Add floating plants to the tank. They provide hiding places for the more timid fish. Adding a bit of standard aquarium salt will help heal the Guppy, but it's doubtful the fin will return to normal. A teaspoon or so in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water won't harm the plants or other tank inhabitants.

Feed a healthy diet that includes some frozen food from San Fran Bay and add a little minced garlic from Spice World. Garlic is high in vitamins and is a natural antibiotic.

Large, frequent water changes are a must. Half the tank's volume changed every week is best.

B

thanks for your help, I've just bought some minced garlic and salt online now. So you think its fin nipping then and the tail will never grow back?

Back
Top Bottom