Fin rot OR Fungus?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gk2v

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a sick female endler and I need to get some advice on what's wrong with her.

I've got a 34L/9g tank running for just over a month that's just finished cycling. I'm using poly filter, marine pure and ceramic noodles and the filter is total overkill running 400 litres per hour, no other aeration, Eheim jager 50w heater, normal gravel substrate and heavily planted.

Got 6 adult endlers and a few fry, 1 mystery snail and 1 cherry shrimp

I've had some major issues with nitrite spikes over the last week which I have been resolving by daily water changes with Prime, salts & biological enhancers 20% one day, 50% the next, 25 etc and it's down to 0-0.25 + 0-0.25 ammonia, 10-20 nitrates and PH 7.8 which is my normal level

My sick lady looks like she has a white sheen on one side of her body and tail like its a bit cloudy or something but only in patches- it's not spotty or speckled in any way. I will post a pic assp

Upload it to youtube and post the link

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

looks like columnaris, yank her out of there before it has a chance to spread. Endlers breed like rabbits, the colony must be saved before one fish!

It isn't furry or fuzzy though at all- from what I've googled it doesn't look like the other images

I've got shrimp in this tank so need meds that are invert friendly too. should I dose with Pimafix & Melafix before trying anything too drastic

If the fin is actually rotting, its a bacterial issue first. So to answer your question in the OP, both.
Fin rot is bacterial, usually belonging to one of three types of bacteria, aeromonas, pseudomonas, or columnaris.
Fungus only eats away dead or damaged tissue. IT is secondary to bacteria, and so you would treat for both, with a antibiotic, preferably in food, and also a Compatible anti-microbal, such as furan2 or methylene blue, make sure their compatible first.
The "fix" products are more of a hippy approach, very limited effectiveness, but some people just don't like using chemicals at all, so they use the essential oils. The body lesions and tail rot are a good sign shes got something serious, so it would be best to just euthanize the guppy. They are a dime a dozen, but without meds a single fish can lead to a major outbreak, and wipe out the tank.

I don't think its columnaris, I've seen this damage in not properly cycled tanks due to the spikes. Personally I'd stop with any beneficial bacterial boosters, many contain ammonia. Nitrite is extremely dangerous to the fish, I would be doing larger daily water changes with a little salt and see if it clears naturally though meds may be needed by this point, its progressed pretty far.

It does look like columnaris to me?
Possibly ich, but the 'spread' on anal fin says most to me.
Often what ever the initial issue is we don't see problem till the secondary infection sets in and it is more clear to see.
How the fish got stressed IMO would be like TMRC said and the cycle with exposure to nutrients??
Salts baths are a good start no matter what.
I will link two great articles on columnaris.

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html
Easy read and will explain the different appearances or lack of any symptom.
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

Little but more detailed article(still easy to understand IMO).

Kanamycin and Furan 2 at the same time for treatment if salt baths don't work.
Keep tank temp 75 or under.

I don't think its columnaris, I've seen this damage in not properly cycled tanks due to the spikes. Personally I'd stop with any beneficial bacterial boosters, many contain ammonia. Nitrite is extremely dangerous to the fish, I would be doing larger daily water changes with a little salt and see if it clears naturally though meds may be needed by this point, its progressed pretty far.

If CB thinks columnaris I'd say he is right, I think he has more time reviewing it than anyone here. Sorry for the bad advice, I just didn't see it.

^Not bad advice in any way.^
Water changes will always help and nutrient spikes can kill fish faster then most diseases..
The curved back is another indicator to me.(but male guppies do this all the time from large fins??)
The fish looks pregnant and otherwise healthy , besides clamped fins also but they to could be from water issues again.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom