Fin rot or ick? What happened to my tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elisabeth9

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm not sure whats wrong, but something killed all of my mollies but one. Then, right after, my last molly starts getting white, foggy bumps on her fins, as well as along her back. I figured it was ick, so i treated my tank for ick twice. Nothing happened. Then, where the white foggy bumps on her tail are, it looks like her fins were chipped off. So is it ick or is it fin rot?
Also, my tank does not have harmful ammonia OR harmful nitrite levels, as my filters have a thing that literally eliminates those harmful things. So what killed all of my mollies??? They were doing perfectly fine, then one day they start seizing and sinking to the bottom and floating sideways. My theory is that the new fish I got brought a disease into my tank. Any ideas??? I'm planning to do 50% water changes every other day if it Is a disease. My question is why it's only affecting my mollies????

My tank has been established for a little over a year now. Please help!!!

From what you've described that's a fungus. I'd get some anti fungal meds and treat with that, what size tank do you have as well as exact parameters if you can test? And temperature, this can help as well in diagnosis. Doesn't sound like ick or fin rot because those wouldn't kill, at least not that fast

Yeah definitely sounds like columnaris personally I would use Kanaplex. Oh and the only thing in your filter that will bring your ammo and nitrite down to safe levels is the bacterial filter that builds with time. The only safe level of either is 0 ppm

Back
Top Bottom