Fin rot or injury?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettalover333

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so today I was looking at my newest betta (I've had him for almost 2 weeks) and I noticed that a fairly large portion of his tail is missing. He doesn't have anything sharp in his tank, but the filter could have sucked it up. Here is the pic: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402347232.519465.jpg

The tear is in the upper portion of his tail (he's a double tailed halfmoon). Is it fin rot, or just an injury? I'll be putting something over the filter intake is case that was the problem. Also, what do you recommend for treating it. I have aquarium salt but what dosage would you recommend? Thanks guys, I'm kinda new to the fish world so still trying to figure things out. Any tips would be appreciated :)

It's kinda hard to tell, but It doesn't look like fin rot from the picture. And if it was, you'd see fins slowly start to erode over time, instead of chunks falling out at once.

Clean water will be the best, he should heal up very quickly in pristine water!

I'd keep an eye on it just to make sure.

Also another tip would be to use some stress coat. That stuff always works for me if I have any fish with torn or damaged fins :)

Back
Top Bottom