Fin rot or Not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booginish

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so i have a 55 gallon tank, cycelled for a year now, at this moment all readings(nitrites, ammonia, nitrates) are zero, my ph is 7.8. i have a 3 stage aquaclear filter 50 - 70 gal, and a 300 w rena smart heater(temp at 87F right now, i thought if it was ich i would get a head start), i have 6 zebra danios, 5 black skirt tetras, 1 honey dew gourami, 2 albino corys, 3 adfs, 3 ballon mollies, 2 neon swordtails. my problem all started when i purchased 2 velvet red swordtails, when i got them home i did the usual routine, climatize them, never add any of the lfs water and add them, after a few hours i noticed a white film on the side of one of the velvet reds, i thought nothing of it at first, until hours later i noticed he was lethargic, not eating, scratching on ornaments, and speratic movements, and after one night he was completely torn up, all of his fins were shredded, most of his sworded tail was gone, he had white right before the tail fin started, and was on the brink of death(none of my fish are violent in any way, none of them would have done this). the next day i returned him to my lfs, got a neon swordtail in exchange, he's doin great. were my problem comes into play is with the second velvet red swordtail, he never came to eat, and he as well became a bit lethargic and was displaying similar symptoms, but he had no physical indications of sickness, i decided to leave him for another day and see what happens. the next day to my surprise he was missing, i took hours looking until i found him, inside my pirate ship ornament, white all over him, he was torn up completely like his friend, and he was dead to boot. i have no idea what i am dealing with, but it seems like it moved very very very fast on this one, and now im terrified for my other fish, i did a Big water change right after i discovered his carcuss. but to my utter disapointment i noticed that a few of my fish are now scratching on ornaments to, i caught it early enough, i just need to how to act from here? is this confirmed fin rot? or something more vicious? any help or were to go from here would be much much appreciated.

it doesnt sound like velvet, no were in there does it mention torn fins, and there was definately no goldish rusty film on the fish at all, the film was white. I looked up fin rot and it sounds very similar to mine just because they mention the white right before the tail fin symptom, but im still not sure.

Back
Top Bottom