Fin rot!! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EthanBeltramo

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418949282.289366.jpg
This is my BETTA jack. Sorry, but this is the best image I could get. He is In a ten g community tank with two platy and a snail. I got him around August. In September, his fins were shredded to his body by a naughty tankmate. I returned the bully. While recovering, I think he caught fin rot or some other disease. If able to, please identify what is wrong and give me the best advice for a cure. Thanks!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Betta with white fins

2~What are your tank parameters? Ph of 6.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? Ten gallon since october.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Tetra pf10 90gph

5~How many fish are in the tank? 3 What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Betta, and two platy. All around two inches

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? Today. How often do you do this? Weekly. How much water do you remove at a time? 2 gallons

7~How long have you had the fish? August.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Started using tetra aqua safe. Added petsmart Christmas decor

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Betta flakes. Bloodworms. Tetra brand flakes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How about your nitrites and nitrates?
A pH of 6 is kind of low. That may be your problem right there.

I had a few fish with fin rot and a low pH, so at the recommendation of my LFS I put some crushed coral in a mesh bag and put it in the filter in place of the carbon. That has helped significantly and no more fin rot to be found.

Adding different decor/substrate can alter your pH

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When my angel was having fin issues I started putting a tiny dose of aquarium salt in my filter basin and dosing with seachem stress guard plus. In about a week the fins looked great and also seemed to stop some flashing my fish were doing. I actually liked it so much Ive kept up with the salt on every PWC (very small does) and use the stress guard like every few days.

So far no damage to anything and all the fish seem much better off, but its not like they are giving me thumbs up as I walk by.

Fin rot clears up with lots of Clean water. I suggest changing a few gallons several times a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom