fin rot question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've quaranteened my sick Julii cory that has fin rot (actually I think it is something else). I'm treating with Melafix in quaranteen and I'm also treating the tank the sick fish came from. The other cory doesn't seem to have a problem. My lfs has some new Sterbai corys that I am obsessing over (I saw them when I went by the other day to get supplies for sick cory). Is it a good idea (and it probably isn't) to place an expensive Sterbai in this tank where the sick cory had the fin rot?

fin rot

I've been treating the tank for 24 hours. The fish has been out that long as well.

I would wait, honestly. You don't want to take a chance. The fish will always be at the LFS, but better safe than sorry. I would wait longer to make sure there is no ill effects on the other fish in your tank already.

Good luck.

fin rot

Yeah. I just don't want to miss out on the Sterbais. I've never seen any before and the lfs owner says he doesn't get them in much.

Well, go ahead. Just be prepared to treat if you need to. You should be ok, but it depends on if you want to take the chance. If it's a fish that you never see...give it a try. How much money are they? just for my own curiosity.

fin rot....waiting

I'm still going to take your advice and wait a few days. I may buy the fish and let it stay at the lfs until I'm ready. The lfs owner is a superb fish person. He has LOTS of fish and MANY different varieties. A lot of tropical fish owners hang-out there and buy stuff there. I know b/c I hang-out there too much, obsessing over what could be. Anyway, the lfs owner likes getting in different stuff from many different people. They don't sell me many "new" fish either. If I ask about something that has been in the store only a few days they generally tell me to wait and see what happens with them before they sell me any. The Sterbai cories cost $9.99 a piece. That is the most I've ever spent on a fish. But they catch your eye, especially if you are a bottom-feeder freak like I am. Anyway, I've got the carbon out and I'm treating according to the bottle. I may make a move on the Sterbai by the end of next week. Thanks for yuor help.

Back
Top Bottom