Fin rot? Sick platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my tank for four months now and all the fish have been healthy. Now, one of my platys has a problem with her tail. It does not seem rotted, but it seems to be shrinking. It is clumped together. I'm not sure if its fin rot or something else. I don't know my water parameters...I have to get a test kit tonight. I also don't have a quarantine tank. I know, I should have one, but I didn't have room, and it was something that I was planning to get and never did. Even if I set one up it wouldn't be cycled.....anyway, I am not sure what the problem is. She is moving fine and eating normally, but her fins look like someone reached in and squeezed them. I immediately did a PWC, removing 40% of the water. This did not seem to have any effect. The temperature in the tank has been difficult to maintain lately, with the wide swings in temperature in the room. It was 75 this morning, now it is back up to 80. I know that is very bad. Is that what brought this on? All my other fish seem healthy and are unaffected. Please help!

A 5 degree swing in temperature is stressful to fish. Are you sure your heater is working properly? I keep my tanks at 79 or 80 degrees, and have no problem keeping the temp stable even with ambient room temp changes, so maybe your heater is not powerful enough or something.

Does your platy's tail look like it has been nipped? Maybe another fish is picking on her. Melafix or Pimafix should help with fin regrowth if that is the issue, along with clean water.

I don't know. It is a brand new heater, it said it was ok up to 30 gallons and I have a 29 gallon tank. I just bought it a week ago. When the place is warm, the water gets to 85 degrees, when its cold it drops to 75. Problem is, I just don't have an extra 50 dollars hanging around for a new heater- that is what it cost me. I have it cranked up to 85 degrees and the temperature is about 79 now. I think I need a new heater, but like I said, I just can't swing it right now.

The fish's tail doesn't look like it was bitten really, it looks squashed, like someone squeezed it between their fingers. Could another fish have done that?

I don't know, is there any way you can get a pic?

I'm totally with you on the tight budget thing, but it does sound like you nay need a new heater, unfortunately. If you just bought it a week ago, do you think it is possible to return or exchange it? Also, I've found the manufacturer's recommendations on most equipment to be somewhat overrated- maybe it would help to try the next size up.

I don't think she's going to make it. She is at the bottom of the tank not moving now. I can't see her anymore because she is hiding in the java moss. I feel terrible.

Clamped fins is the term for the condition you are describing. Anti-fungal treatment will sometimes remedy it. I have had some success with jungle fungus clear, pimafix and extra water changes. What is the temp swing in the room?

Back
Top Bottom