Fin rot treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tankgrl88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My guppies were bought with parasite infestation, which I'm feeding them both Seachem garlic soaked pellets and real garlic soaked food too. My Q is the fin rot I have discovered a few are experiencing. I have this API sulfa that requires dosing the tank several times and removing the charcoal. My filters are all in1. So I'm looking for advice before beginning treatment. How can I maintain my filter during this procedure, which might be a few days? In past experience starting a fresh filter was more dangerous to my fish so I'm much too wary to throw this out. Will it be ok in a bowl of water a few days?
TY for any replies.
Signed, concerned fish mommy.

Can you just cut the bottom of the filter pad off and shake out most of the carbon?
Is your tank cycled and all that?
What type of parasite?
Fin rot is usually columnaris, a stubborn infection, tri-sulfa is not the best antibiotic to use but should work.

Thanks for your reply. The parasites are Neotodes/camelanus. The LFS never argued when I purchasd my second grp, I told them these guppies were infected.(the bag was containing worm remnant and these shops are low lit lighting for fish distressing element, I assume. After taking fish home, I would never want to cause them yet more stress by returning them. Instead I am trying to make them healthy & happy, which they deserve.I am thinking most fwf have them based on my experience buying from both BB and LFSers. Plus I I have read Guppies easily are subject to parasites. My previous bunch from December were Tetras in another tank. They too had this variant of parasite.

The filter has been wet since removal. Currently in a bucket. Will it be ok to reinsert once this treatment is done?

I need to create a new topic I think because I'm using Melafix liquid and need serious advice re this product. The chemistry looks good but I feel the ammonia is a a tad too deep in yellow, Therefore perhaps the nitrates were undetected and rose. Currently those are the correct blue/ 0ppm.

Melafix is not gonna stop any serious bacterial infection nor camallanus worms.
You need to just
A. Euthanize the poor fish and start over, bleach the tank
B. If its only worms, order some powder levimasole and use epsom salt at high enough concentration to get them to pass the worms, but be careful because sodium magnesium is only accepted by the fish for like a few days at a time, so maybe extended baths in it.
Dont feed anything besides the ocassional peas or algae ruffage, and MAYBE they have a chance.
I know there has been alot of internal type stuff going around lately, its a big reason i dont have guppy fish right now.
They are continuing to use de-wormers pretty frequently and when you get ffish if there is even a hint of a nematode in the substrate or whereever, they will manage to get into the fish. The worms and other stuff becomes immune to the medicine while the fish become dependant on it to survive because there is no survival of the fittest on the scale there would be in nature....
I reccomend starting over, bleaching everything and scrubbing thuroghly, including/especially the siphon tube and buckets and filters
If you just deworm the fish thats great but the worms will probably keep coming back until its been nuked with bleach.
I know it bites but not much we can do.
In the future, get guppies from a reputable breeder, ya its fun (and cheap)
to mess around with petsore fish and thats fine, i did it for years, but they are just becoming too sickly nowadays alot of petstore tanks are swarming with disease and parasites because they use gravel and rarely clean the tanks completely.
Buy from a reputable guppy breeder and save those fish keep them seperate M/F and dont breed brother to sister only Daughter or son to parents once or twice then get fresh blood of the same color or keep two seperate lines.
You may not be that seroius about guppies, but i figure its about the only way to get healthy fish nowadays.
Walmart, petco, and petsmart, heck most mom and pa stores, have parasites in their systems that will wipe out your tanks.

Back
Top Bottom