Fin Split...need some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone...I have 2 plattys in my 10 gal tank...When I got them, one of them had a split in his fin. I think I have had them 3 or 4 weeks now...and I have treated with melafix twice and my one male fish still has a split in his fin.

He seems pretty healthy now...I'm not sure what to do to get rid of this split.

The problem I'm having is finding out what is causing it...my Water is withing acceptable levels...there are only 2 fish in the tank...the only thing I can think of is it may be some sort of disease.

There are no white or cottony substances on the fin...it is just a simple split...does anyone know what I should do?

Tonight I think I may add some aquarium salt and do water changes daily for a couple weeks and see what happens!

These two platies are the only fish in the tank? Do you think there is any aggression between them? If not, I think your idea to add some aquarium salt is a good one. Platies do appreciate a bit of salt in the water. Keeping up with water changes, or doing some extra ones, will help too. Often, a mild ailment will resolve itself with plenty of clean water.

I have a tetra with a split fin...it has been like that for over 2 years now and it doesn't get worse but it never heals either...might be a permanent thing...it is healthy though, swims fast and everything.

Back
Top Bottom