Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Location: I live at home with my parents in San Diego, but am currently in a dorm at Cal State Long Beach
Send a message via AIM to akmandlarge Send a message via Yahoo to akmandlarge Send a message via Skype™ to akmandlarge
If my pellets are about 2 mm in diameter (very small little balls) how many can I get away with giving him per day? I agree that feeding him more often might make him more excited... i used to feed him a lot when he was in a little 1 gal bowl and he was always so active.

Yes, I have a light over him, but interestingly enough, if he is sitting at the bottom and then I turn the light off, he gets up and starts swimming. Not always, but usually.

I will stop adding salt for now, to see if that changes anything. I am going out of town by car this weekend and no one can take care of him in his tank, so I am transporting him in a 2 gallon hospital tank for the weekend :-/ I hope this doesn't stress him out too much. I am going to take the water straight from the tank to he doesn't have to adjust at all.

Do you think I should get this Prazi and just try it? He is really no too dusty looking at all, he just doesn't look completely 100% black, he maybe looks like 97%. I don't know if that makes any sense at all, but I don't think I could show it in a picture.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

2mm are baby pellets, you should be able to feed more than just 4 ... General rule of thumb is to feed one mouthful at one sitting & knowing the size of a goldies's mouth that would be quite a few pellets! For starts, I think you can double that amount per feed, twice a day. As long as he eats everything in a couple minutes, you can keep upping the amount as he grows.

It would be a bit stressful to transport a fish, but there are ways to minimize it. Rather than transporting in an open tank, I would suggest using a cooler <with lid loose> & a large rubbermaid tub. <Cooler if your temp is cold ... but in California, it is prob still rather warm?> Reason is that you would have a lid so the water won't splash during your trip. <Drill holes in rubbermaid lid for air, water that splash out of the holes stay in the cooler so your car won't be wet ...>. Get a battery operated airstone (or an inverter & run your airpump) & you would be set for the car trip. You might want to bring your filter (keep it wet) & run it when you get to your destination, so your fish won't have to face another cycle in the temp setup. If you get a 5 or 10 gal tub, you can use that as a future large QT. <I have a 30 gal tub that I store all my fish stuff in & doubles as my QT, transport.>

If the car trip is going to be quite long, you might want to add a dose of Prime (or other ammonia absorbing dechlor) at the start & do a large pwc at the end to remove any ammonia that accumulated. <You would have to match tank water parameters. If the water at the destination is very different, you would want to add your new water slowly (like over 1/2 hrs) & limit the pwc to maybe 25% or less.>

Also, don't forget to feed your main tank with a pinch of fishfood before you go. Without fish, the biofilter will start to die back & you might face the cycle (again!) when you get back. The bit of fishfood will help keep your tank bacteria alive.

The Praziquantel is a bit of a judgement call. Some moors are "velvet" & they have non-shinny scales, so might give you the dull look. If the fish had always looked like that, I would leave it be. But a change in the fish from shinny to dull is worrisome. <Also, goldies will lose their black color as they get older, so make sure this is not a color change, but a change is the shininess .... I hope this is not too confusing! > I think with the move, etc. coming up, you might just want to hold off until the dust settles, unless the fish develops an obvious sign of being sick.

Tags
behavior, finrot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com