Finrot or injury?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barakis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys

Fish in the photo has developed an issue, not sure what has caused it but it has got like this in like 24 hours.

I have a feeling my blue guppy, has a slightly clear bit on the tail too. But right now I might be imagining that.

I have a clown pleco (baby) 11 neons 2 Molly's and now 5 male guppys in a 68L (18 gal?).

I did have 2 female 1 male, but my work means I'm not always here to deal with babies, so I took them back last weekend and got 4 males (plus my 1 existing male)

Filter running is a super fish internal, runs at about 300l/h I think?

Water is 25

Light is an Internet LED on 6 hours a day

Also have an Internet ap1 running a 12" air wall.

Don't think I've missed anything. Parameters where ph 8.4 amm 0 rite 0 rate 20 last weekend and I did a 25% WC on Wednesday to remove a 3 day treatment of melafix (dosage stated to introduce new fish)

image-1675769490.jpg

Thought it might be worth saying, as far as I remember last night before bed they where all fine, only noticed the fin this morning. Is finest really that quick?

It looks like he's been nipped at. The mollies are the most likely culprits. Fin rot literally looks like the fin is rotting/melting off. It would have white or black jagged edges. As for the guppy with the clear spot is it the site of an old injury to his fin? Fins grow back clear then gain color later.

Mumma.of.two said:
It looks like he's been nipped at. The mollies are the most likely culprits. Fin rot literally looks like the fin is rotting/melting off. It would have white or black jagged edges. As for the guppy with the clear spot is it the site of an old injury to his fin? Fins grow back clear then gain color later.

The blue one doesnt look any worse this morning. It's hard to tell they don't stay still much, looks like it could be what you Said.

The black one has torn down a bit near the end of that pic, and it does look white ish on the new edges. Still nipping or fin rot?

If I treat with melafix, to either treat finrot or help heal, is this the rite thing to do? What do you think of melafix?

I was in agreement that it was nipping, but this morning looks a bit more rotty, is it normally this quick?

Thanks mumma :)

From the pic it looks like nipping. Rot won't take a section like that but instead take ragged edges all around the fin. Treatments the same. Plenty of clean water. Personally I don't like melafix. It doesn't do anything clean water won't.

Mumma.of.two said:
From the pic it looks like nipping. Rot won't take a section like that but instead take ragged edges all around the fin. Treatments the same. Plenty of clean water. Personally I don't like melafix. It doesn't do anything clean water won't.

Kl thanks, makes me feel better that my other fish will be ok.

My problem with treatment is that I'm going to be away for a couple weeks as of Tuesday, so water changes are not something I can expect my gf to do.

If I do a 25% wc now. And then only feed every 3 days, will they be healing if I leave for 2 weeks? Do you think in this particular situation melafix may be better? I can possibly get home to do a wc for the end of treatment. But I won't be able to keep up wc as Much as needed as treatment.

I don't want to sound like I'm fighting advise, I really agree and appreciate it. It's just that my gf feeds them whilst I'm away but nothing else, so a few drops of melafix would be ok, but asking her to do daily w/c isn't really plausible. Just trying to find the right solution.

As mumma already stated, melafix isn't really anything special. If you already have it, it's not going to hurt anything with that particular stock, but it doesn't really do a whole lot either. At least it hasn't for me when I've used it.

jetajockey said:
As mumma already stated, melafix isn't really anything special. If you already have it, it's not going to hurt anything with that particular stock, but it doesn't really do a whole lot either. At least it hasn't for me when I've used it.

Just want to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with anything, its just the fact that I won't be here to do pwc every other day, ill be away.

Any sudgestions in this situation or will pwc every week be enough? I will be able to get home next w/e if I need to.

Thanks again guys.

guppy with tail issues - YouTube

guppy with tail injury - YouTube

my phone is really poor for photos, videos are better, hopefully you can see the latest damages in the videos.

would salt do the trick?

sorry to be a pain, i'm just a bit short on time.

I can't view the vids sorry. Internets really slow today.
If you can do a PWC before you go and one half way through he'll be fine. He's not trying to fight off disease. Fish loose bits of fin all the time. I wouldn't stress :)

I can't view the vids sorry. Internets really slow today.
If you can do a PWC before you go and one half way through he'll be fine. He's not trying to fight off disease. Fish loose bits of fin all the time. I wouldn't stress :)

thanks a lot, doing a 25% pwc now and i'll try get back on sunday PM to do another 25%, then i'll return from work on friday, so another PWC that saturday.

a lot of the time i assume i am over reacting, wasnt really the finrot that was worrying me, more the fact it shows signs of other issues :)

one final question, sorta related but at the same time not. I have run out of tetra aquasafe, and i am planning on using API stress coat from now on. how do i do this transition? just continue to treat new water with correct dosage? or do i need to do some kind of WC sequence to change to a diferent water conditioner?

sounds like a stupid question i know, but i am fast learning their is no such thing in this hobby :)

thanks a lot mumma and jetta

You could do a 50% water change just make sure the waters extra nice. The way I see it is you're already draining water so might as well change that little bit extra. The only thing you need to be aware of when switching water conditioners is if the dosage rate is different. switching from one to another will have no impact on the tank or it's occupants.

You could do a 50% water change just make sure the waters extra nice. The way I see it is you're already draining water so might as well change that little bit extra. The only thing you need to be aware of when switching water conditioners is if the dosage rate is different. switching from one to another will have no impact on the tank or it's occupants.

my tap water has like 45ppm nitrates, but every LFS around here has the same water. apart from that the water is spot on.

That's a lot! Larger water changes weekly from now on will be a good idea. Is the tank planted? Some fast growing stem plants and floating plants will help keep it under control.

That's a lot! Larger water changes weekly from now on will be a good idea. Is the tank planted? Some fast growing stem plants and floating plants will help keep it under control.

i have some java fearn on a peice of bogwood. i do normally do 25% weekly, just not when i go away for work. despite high levels in water, my tests normally stay around 15-20.

i have some java fearn on a peice of bogwood. i do normally do 25% weekly, just not when i go away for work. despite high levels in water, my tests normally stay around 15-20.

ok so i just did a 25% pwc, turns out my rates are hi at about 40 and the pwc didnt even touch it...

to make it even better, my ph has gone from 8.2 to 7.4 in one pwc, tested my tap and thats running ph7.2.

i would do a 50% tomorrow night but with the tap water levels like this im not sure it will help.

help!!!!

thought i'd check in for an update. sorry been away a lot recently and lost my internet.

so the fish in this post died, i now have another guppy with definate fin rot, and i have a neon acting loopy. i really have no idea whats going on all my perams are fine (0,0,10,8.2).

I am actually getting rid of the tank and contents, just moved house and the new house really doesn't have room for the tank, even a 68L one. so I need to fix up the tank for its new owner.

Thanks for all your input mumma, sorry i didn't reply, its been a mental couple of months

Back
Top Bottom