Fins split

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kclskates

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What causes this?

47g bow front.
5 fancy goldfish. 4 are 3-5in. One is 2in. I know it's overcrowded. I'm going to remove the large one soon, then there will be 4 dragon eyes.
1 dojo loach. 5in. Is the loach a threat? I like him cause he cleans well.
1 clown Pleco which is 4 years old and is only 3in.

Ph 6.8-7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 80
Kh 0-30
Gh 0-30

All tests are API liquid type. When you use a all purpose test strip, total hardness is at 75.

I've been doing water changes a lot to fight nitrates, roughly 10% every other day, 40% weekly. My canister filter is for a 125g tank so it's plenty of that and a hang off the back filter. I clean them every other week.

I also notice my ph will drop after time if I don't keep up my water changes. This makes me feel like my carbonate hardness is low. Which my API test indicates. I would like to maintain a KH around 100ppm some how but I'm not sure about that.

If it helps, I also will place live plants in my tank, about 2 totally usually and the don't grow well. I have very good lighting on a timer. The goldfish love eating them so always figure that's why they don't thrive.

I feed multiple types of worms,veggies,and fruits. I do see food float into the filers. Which I can't really prevent. Unless you have some tips?

Sorry for having so many questions threw out.

Thank you so much
Kevin

Hi there.
Nitrates are a bit high. I would recommend regular water changes to bring it below 40. The excess food going into the filter intake might explain the high nitrate level. I would feed the fish away from the filter and only feed what they can eat within a couple of minutes. If food is reaching your filter before the finish it then you may be over feeding. Try a little and often.
The Kh and Gh does seem a bit low and raising the Kh SLOWLY will buffer the ph and help stabilise it. Expect a slow increase in ph though. I use bicarbonate of soda to raise Kh. Make a solution and add to each bucket of new water. As a starting point I add 20ml bicarb to 500ml tap water as my solution and then add 20ml of solution to each 10l bucket of new water. This eventually raises the tank to about 100ppm. Keep an eye on Ph. Make changes slowly. All new water will need adjusting on water changes. Once you have the dilution formula for your tank it's dead easy.
I believe Epsom salts can be used in a similar way to raise Gh but I haven't had to use it so have no experience.
I would agree with you that an aiming pint of 100ppm for Gh an Kh is reasonable.
I am sure others here on AA will chip in.

So what is the reason for fin split? That's my main question

Sorry, got carried away with the water parameters.
I have a reservation about keeping jojo loaches and plecs with goldfish. Apparently they like the 'slime' that the goldfish produce. The fins could be split by one of those through the night.
Other members may have an opinion on this.

Fins splits can be caused by afew things, sharp decor, nips and bites, water quality issues and also an early sign of fin rot. I would start by changing your routine to 30% every second day to bring those nitrates down, or a 50% change and then continue at 30% twice weekly. As this gives you days off inbetween and will also give double the amount fresh water youre doing now. 10% is such an insignifcant amount to change out. Also know that 10% daily doesnt account to even nearly 70% a week which may sound strange. Ive posted the mathmatics behind it more than once on Aa. The best thing to do is try to match your change routine to you nitrate build up so youre always ontop of it and keeping them low.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom