Firemouth Chilid acted very strange and now may be dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uK GeorG3 X1z

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have two Firemouth Chilids in a 160l tank. Have had both for a few months and have been healthy, however when I was cleaning my tank earlier one went absolutely mental, grazing the gravel etc. and was swimming really erratically. He is now on his side still breathing but looking as if he is going to die. I was just wondering what might have caused this? the tank has been set up for just over a year and I clean the gravel/water change every 2 weeks. I remove around 15%-20% of the water and use a water conditioner. I also feed them flake food as well as frozen around 2-3 times a week. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Hi, he is currently still breathing, however he is on his side ans is not moving.

Hi, I have two Firemouth Chilids in a 160l tank. Have had both for a few months and have been healthy, however when I was cleaning my tank earlier one went absolutely mental, grazing the gravel etc. and was swimming really erratically. He is now on his side still breathing but looking as if he is going to die. I was just wondering what might have caused this? the tank has been set up for just over a year and I clean the gravel/water change every 2 weeks. I remove around 15%-20% of the water and use a water conditioner. I also feed them flake food as well as frozen around 2-3 times a week. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Was he flashing? Could he have been flicking his gills along the gravel?

It sounds to me like the water chemistry changed while you were cleaning the tank. How did you do the pwc?

Have you checked for ammonia? Ph?

Has you tap water used for water changes changed at all? Is the other fish fine.

I'd try running some carbon to remove anything nasty, plus a water change IF you know the water is fine to use.

Increase aeration if possible to keep water oxygenated but only slow water flow so not getting buffered around.

Hi, thanks for the reply. He did appear to be flashing however all other fishes are fine. It's the same water I always use an have never seen anything like this before. The water was treated with a conditioner ans I checked for any ammonia, nitrate spikes etc. But nothing. Plus I am using an air pump. Thanks again.

Good news on the other fish. I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Just in case, do you treat the water first and then add to tank or add conditioner to tank and then add water straight to tank?

Hi, yes I add the conditioner to the water in the bucket before adding it to the tank.

Hi, yes I add the conditioner to the water in the bucket before adding it to the tank.

Sounds good. I do a pwc the other way and have very rarely heard of this causing problems.

Also of water companies flushing pipes, etc which can cause a tank problem. But usually this impacts entire tank unless you have sensitive fish.

Could the tank clean have stirred up anything unusual? Filter wool or anything? Otherwise I'm kind of out.

Yeah, it's really weird,he's still alive and I even caught him swimming for a tint bit. However when he did the other firemouth who's larger was quite aggressive, maybe a bully issue? Thanks again for you help!

Yeah, it's really weird,he's still alive and I even caught him swimming for a tint bit. However when he did the other firemouth who's larger was quite aggressive, maybe a bully issue? Thanks again for you help!

Hmm, that's a pain. Hate it when something like that happens. It's like when all is good in the tank and they do something crazy and jump out.

Do you have a large net or breeding pen he could go in for a bit to recover?

Hi, just wanted to update. He is still alive and is actually showed huge signs of improvement. He has recently started to swim around more and is not started to again go to the top for food. Wanted to say thanks again for your help!

Back
Top Bottom