First bout of ich... any suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two way! This is what she told me. Best for Fish!

Ich is a parasite so fish can not become immune.

It is in the tank now so there is no point isolating the infected unless if makes you feel better.
To treat:
Increase temp slowly to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase water changes and gravel vacs atleast 3 times a week. more if possible

Leave temp up for at least one week after last spot is seen
Slowly decrease temp to normal
You can add a little salt if you like. It can help avoid infection in the sites where the ich leaves the body of the fish. Plenty of clean water helps a avoid this also.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

This is the way I did it, and I had MILD Ich. This is the best way, no salt though Valuable Cories. Pleco can sometimes be sensitive too.

Def loosing the cardinals at a good clip :(

Any reason it only shows on them ? Rest of the stock appears to be uninflected ?

They are probaby the hosts and the ones that brought it home. Happend to me when i introduced some harliquin rasbora to my tank. The day after only the rasbora had it.

yeah def assuming that the last bunch of cardinals were the carriers.
they were the +5 to a group of 5 already in the tank. all from a lfs.

oh well some days its a crap shoot. just holding out through this round and then getting the tank back in balance. :D

well I guess one way to get past the ich is to loose the infected fish :(
down to just the 6 danios, 4 bronze corys and 2 juli corys.

considering this a new start :)
Put some carbon in to suck out the meds. going to order the extra canister filter tomorrow (currently just an AC70 ) and keep the temp raised a bit for the next week or two before adding any new fish

well I guess one way to get past the ich is to loose the infected fish :(
down to just the 6 danios, 4 bronze corys and 2 juli corys.

considering this a new start :)
Put some carbon in to suck out the meds. going to order the extra canister filter tomorrow (currently just an AC70 ) and keep the temp raised a bit for the next week or two before adding any new fish

No, im affraid losing the infected fish wont help. Ich is extremely infectious and simply removing the fish wont or shouldnt solve the problem.

Oh that was extremely tongue in cheek. I am still keeping the heat up for the next two weeks probably. Still every other day water changes and gravel vac. Just removing the meds as they are dicey with the corys and pleco to begin with.

Sorry i miss read you previous post. Sorry if you lost a fish. I thought younment if you removed the infected fish you coukd getnrid of the ich. Good look with it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom