Fish are dieing, Only 2 left

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You mention that one of your fish dissapeared: If it died in the tank or filter, and was rotting in there, that would cause an extremely high level of ammonia - which is like acid to fishes.

Looks like you had a rough start, but don't let that discourage you from keeping fish!. Knowledge is power, so they say - do check out Menagerie's links so you can get a better handle on what went wrong and how to prevent it in the future. I'd be willing to bet that your tank never cycled and your fish succumbed to ammonia.

Regarding your specific questions, fish that are chronically subjected to poor water quality are just more susceptible to opportunistic diseases because their immune systems are weakened. And water changes will help by diluting out toxins as well as by reducing the number of pathogenic organisms in the water. Water changes - no more than 50% daily - really are the magic cure for most aquarium problems.

I just did my water change (thank you magic python). After reading alot on this site today, it must have been my lack of water changing. I'll be sure to keep up on that regualy from now on.

Matthi said:
You mention that one of your fish dissapeared: If it died in the tank or filter, and was rotting in there, that would cause an extremely high level of ammonia - which is like acid to fishes.

One of his cats is a Pictus and it was a Zebra that disappeared overnight.... Hmmm I know Zebras are fast, but overnight... I'm suspicious.

LOST MY LAST GOURAMI

I went to the pet store on my way home from work yesterday to look at the test kits. And asked him about the NItrate Nitrite and ammonia kits. I asked him what they test for when I bring my water in the store and he said they test for all three. And since they test for all 3 and I had my water tested by them and they said it was fine, I didnt get a test kit at that store cuz it was twice as much (at petco) so I was going to wait until I can make it to PetSmart again.

I did my water change (close to 50%) last night, and after words by last blue gourami was acting kind of funny. 1st was it's swimming. It would pause in the water, slant diagonal with its head facing up, then start to "fall" backwards. Then it would swim as normal. And then do it again.
As ussal when I found him this mornig he had sores behind the gills (could have just been the pictus picking at it).

So now I'm down to one zebra (that has been there forever) and the Pictus Catfish. I'll be getting the test kit to make sure the water it ok (which it is according to the store). I'll do my water changes.

but...

Should I also some kind of medication for the fish/water like:THIS

How long should I wait until I can get one more fish and put it in the tank. Than if that one fish does ok, I will know everything is safe.

Did you clean the aquarium with anything potentially toxic before you put the fish in?

Do you know what the pH of your water is (before&after)?

Did you use the same softened water, or did you switch from softened to straight tap? (the change may have shocked them if you did a 50% change with very different parameters)

I don't know if medication is the answer, but if you do, take out the charcoal from your filter.

I still wonder about your water salinity from the softener.

Just throwing out some more ideas.

No I didn't clean the tank with anything bad before I set it up.

I'll find the PH out when I get the liquid test kit from PETsMART later today. (along with all the other test kits)

I used the same softened water as before (with the chlorine drops). Everybody I've talked to at the store said it would not be a problem to use that water.

--

Are zebras really hardy, becuase the one I have left is doing just fine and has been in there from the start?

I'm affriad that the small zebra and pictus catfish that are in there will just fine (like they have been), I'll do the water test and that will be fine, I'll do the water changes for a while. And think everything is fine, then I go to get a new fish to "test the waters" and that fish dies. Is there any way to know eveything is safe before I buy more fish?? Or do I have to get that "test fish" to see if the tank is ok?

If there is a problem with the water parameters, changing out the water on a daily basis is the best cure.
Once you get the test kits, post the numbers and we can try to get to the bottom of the tank problems. Wait to add more fish until we figure out what's going on with the fish.

I'll do another water change tonight and post the test numbers.
I also know not to get anymore fish until this is fixed.
I was just woundering how will I know when the problem is fixed, if all the test numbers come out okay everytime?? I guess we'll wait to see what the test numbers are :wink:

About the test hits, I'm going to get liquid. And you guys told be to get Nitrate. Nitrite and ammonia. I'm quessing I should get more tests than that right?? I know I need at least a PH right. If I need any other tests let me know so I can get them all at the same time.

Thanks for the help.

Buy the Freshwater Master test kit made by Aquarium Pharm. it has all the tests you need except nitrate, you'll need to buy that seperate. Petsmart carries both.

jawzforlife said:
QTOFFER said:
Water changes - no more than 50% daily - really are the magic cure for most aquarium problems.

Did you really mean 50% daily??

Usually I do a 40 - 50% change once a week.
But when I was battling ich and body fungus at the same time, I was doing 40% daily.

DID MY LIQUID WATER TEST

Nitrate = 33ppm

Nitrite = 0ppm

Ammonia = 0ppm

General Hardness = 8ºdgh (8 drops with the tester)

PH = 8.2 (I had to use the "high range" tester in my kit)

So it looks like my PH is the real only problem (right???), what should I do? And would that cause the problems with my fish??

pH is not a problem--is it what is it. Some fish do not like a high pH. It will put a damper on owning South American cichlids though. To test if this is a true pH: Take a cup of tap water and leave it out overnight. If you have an airstone, let it bubble in the cup of tap water. Test the water again in the morning.
pH can be naturally adjusted, but it is best to keep fish that like your pH.

Well I just got back from the local store (not a big chain, its a local guy that has been around forever) He said my PH was not a problem. His PH in the store is 8.4 and he has a ton of Cichlids in there. He told me to do my water changes for a week, and bring my water to him and he'll see if we both got the same water test results. I told him I was lloking at the Cichlids and he didn't say anything about my PH being a problem for them.

When you say cichlids, you are talking about a very broad range of fish. Somewhere around a 1000 species (I think). Some like high pH, some like a lower pH. Please research the needs of any fish you wish to keep.

Back
Top Bottom