Fish are getting sick - Columnaris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think I've got a columnaris infection in my tank. I received some Gourami mail order, didn't QT them (bad move) and now I think they've spread their illness to the rest of my tank. The 2 Flame Dwarf males I received have died in the hospital tank and now some of the main tank inhabitants are showing signs of illness (white spots, lethargy, hiding). Water parameters are good, I do regular pwc, pH is 7.2 and I can provide specific readings if necessary. It's a 60 gallon planted, 4 wpg, 25ppm CO2 injected, water is hard.
This is the third day on Maracyn and things aren't looking any better. One female Gourami has developed popeye, a black molly is hiding and floating vertically at times and my SA cichlid is getting white spots as shown below.

Any advice/diagnosis and treatment advice is appreciated!

fish1.jpg

molly1.jpg

molly2.jpg

gourami2.jpg

If you continue to see no improvement with the Maracyn, perhaps you have a strain of erythromicin resistant bacteria. This is rather common, since antibiotics are used so widely to treat infections. Try switching to another broad spectrum antibiotic such as tetracycline. (Mardel makes tetracycline tablets)

I am not sure what the white spots are, but IMO they are likely bacterial cysts that will go away. Keep an eye on them to make sure they do not get larger, or grow in number.

Also, keep in mind that most antibiotics can and will harm you biological filter. Keep up on frequent partial water changes, and test your water frequently. Although the product may state that it will not alter your water parameters, better safe than sorry, IMHO.

HTH

I've had luck treating columnaris with Jungle Fungus Clear AND Melafix. FYI, the fungus clear stains silicone and rockwork a ghastly blue, so you want to do this in some kind of hospital tank. A large rubbermaid tub, heater, and cycled filter will do if you don't have a QT tank. Daily PWC with medicated water will be necessary if you don't have a spare cycled filter on hand.

Another tip: lower the temp a degree or two from what you usually have it set. Columnaris grows faster in warmer water. HTH

Back
Top Bottom