Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

If its columnaris make sure you lower the tank water temp to 22 - 23'C (71 - 73'F). This slows down the advance of the disease considerably, allowing time for meds to work more effectively. Warm and overly oxygenated water actually makes the disease more active and virulent. Addition of salt will help

Old 07-17-2014, 02:14 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My heaters are off right now, it's just so hot in Texas now that they stay around 82 all day. I will try keeping lights off, opening the hood, and blocking off any sunlight that might come in through windows. Otherwise, do you have any ideas on how can I lower temps? Add an ice pack?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ice pack is OK if you have good flow or water movement so that the water immediately around the ice pack doesn't get close to freezing. You want the water being mixed at all times. But have to keep changing the pack and the treatment could take a week or more. Don't just dive the tank temp in one hit though as this will shock the fish. Go down slowly over a whole 24 hours. Keep an eye on the temp as if left unwatched constant ice packs will lower the water temp too far.

Its a lot easier if the room has air con as this is the most stable way. Turn off all the heat sources like you have and use the air con.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #14

So by opening the lid, keeping off the lights, and blocking sunlight, the temperature of tank#1 was lowered by 4 degrees to 79'F. Tank#2 is lower as well, but only to 80'F.

The affected fish that have survived so far in Tank#1 don't seem to be clamping anymore and keeping still. They are swimming around and acting normal, but still have bad fin rot and a bit of the grey/whitishness on their bodies. Hopefully their normalized behavior means they are on the road to recovery.

Fish are still clamped in Tank#2. Can't tell yet if fin rot is slowing/stopping just yet. No significant change here.

I will still pull out affected fish when I can.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #15

These are the best pics I can get of what I'm dealing with. Ignore the whitish protrusion from her anus, it's prolapsed intestine. It's been like that since she was a baby and she has been happy as a clam. But take note of the white area on her side and at the base of her tail. Also the fin rot and milkiness of her fins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1245.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	243755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1246.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	243756  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1249.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	243757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1251.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	243758  

Tags
fin rot, fish, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com