Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

fish at the top of the tank

Hi folks,

I have recently changed the light on my tank from the one I got with my Juwel Rekord 120 (25W) to the Arcadia Original Tropical Lamp (30W) .... looks great it 'accentuates' the red and blue in the fish.Lovely.

However it seems like al ot of my fish are up at the top of the tank now wwimming around breathing, more so than before (I think) ... would a bulb change cause this? Water parameters are fine, so I'm not sure what's going on!?

Any help appreciated.

Brian

Old 08-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is the bulb perhaps raising the temperature of the water? Warmer water doesn't contain as much oxygen as cooler water, and if the light is raising the temperature on your tank, it could be just enough to where the fish are having difficulty getting enough oxygen, thus the hanging at the surface. Have you checked your thermometer readings lately? If this is the case, adding a bubbler or turning your filter to a higher turnover rate to agitate the surface of the water (if that works with your filter, since you didn't specify the kind you have) could do the trick.

Really, some more information on your tank would be appreciated to help assess the problem. What kind of fish do you have? What size is the tank, and what kind of filter are you using on it? And importantly, what's the temperature?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com