Fish choking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ayumieguy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello guys. My goldfish has a small hair (from me -_-) stuck in his gills. Its not very thick, but its definetly stuck and jutting outward. Is he alright? He acts fine, what can I do to get it out? I've tried going at him with my fingers but failed miserably. Should I leave him to take care of it himself?

Hi.
Is it a hair or could it possibly be a anchor worm? If its a hair it should be able to be pulled out. Of its a parisite you'll need something to kill it like prazi. Can you post a picture?

+1
If its truly a hair, you should be able to pull it out easily (try a pair of blunt tweezers). If its in fact a worm, you need to treat asap.

It is a hair. I'm 100% sure. The last time I checked the hair got shorter, maybe he's puking it out or something?

Just pick the fish up in your hand and pop it out, if you're sure it's a hair.

Not likely. Get yourself a pair of tweezers, remove the fish & quickly pull out the hair. I am sure its extremely annoying to your fish to have this stuck in his gills. If you are unable to do this, just leave it be & hopefully it will dislodge on its own.

Lol, plucking a small hair from a fish is easier said than done. Thanks for the advice though, I'm going to leave it be, as long as he's not dying I feel less worried.

Back
Top Bottom