Fish constantly swimming upwards...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DNS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry this is in the wrong forum, should be under unhealthy fish, but I needed a response really quickly.

My oldest fish, a 4 year old Black Neon Tetra has been swimming awkwardly for the past few days. He seems to be constanly swimming upwards at about a 70-80 degree angle and if he stops he sinks. A few days ago I noticed what seemed to be a "hole" in the side of him, but that healed up really quickly.

I've done a partial water change just in case and none of the other fish are showing signs of disease or ill-health. Anyone got any ideas for me? Local shop have suggested it may be a bacterial infection, this likely?

Thanks

Welcome to AA, DNS!!!

It couls be either constipation or an internal bacterial infection (swimbladder disorder). Both put pressure on the swimbladder, making it hard for the fish to orient itself correctly while swimming.

If the fish is still eating, try offering some crushed, microwaved peas. This usually cures constipation. It's hard to dose antibiotics internally, but you could try wetting some flake food with a solution of Maracyn2. If the fish isn't eating, adding a drop of garlic oil might pique its appetite. You can buy medicated fish food, but you'd probably have to look online.

Good luck!

I found a bottle of Waterlife's Myaxin which I bought a year ago for another infection and it says it's for bacterial infections so I've added a dose of that to the tank. If there's no improvement I'll do a water change and try what you've suggested. Unfortunatly I'm away for a few days now, just hope he's better when I get back.

Thanks very much for the advice.

Moved to unhealthy fish as it does pertain to unhealthy fish. The frozen pea trick can work wonders if it is a constipation issue. If not epsom salts can also ease any bloating that may be occuring. Also posting your parameters will help us help you.

Back
Top Bottom