Fish died as soon as I put them in the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why are you only quoting me? In not the only one saying it seems rather drastic. Did you read caliban post? So to agrees it seems drastic.

This is not a balanced system, something is wrong. PH stability is something you should be aiming for over 24hrs. (The reason some reef keepers and in certain cases with freshwater fish, a counter lit refugium is set up) The fish don't like it!

You wouldn't drip a change like that? Small changes of nearly the same water adjusted towards the goal. It takes as long as it takes. The Bigger the difference or volume of water the longer the timeframe. To dilute alkaline water to neutral or acid (or the reverse of this) takes a massive amount of water (if you maintain balance)

If some parasites/bacteria survive for 70+ days how long do you quarantine for in an unmedicated tank? 2 days enough? 10 days maybe? The choice is yours.
So it's ok to get it wrong and try again if you want, it isn't criminal. Perhaps unethical to a point but it is ok.

I spent weeks adjusting the puffer, in this case it was more for the bacteria in the filter. His qt was the display as he is in a specimen only tank. Quicker transition would have been more work (& money) regarding water quality.

The longer I take the safer it is. The clowns took ages. To me they are valuable fish, I do not have money to waste.
I think discus were expensive, not sure on the price now as home breeding is more commonplace but a tank full will not be cheap, breeding pairs are not cheap. Would you add a fish to a tank of prized fish after dripping it for an hour?
Personally I would spend a month or so going over the fish in qt. sometimes this isn't possible (emergencies when you run out of room, sometimes we get maxed out)

For some strange reason particularly with long lived species, the older they get the more it cost to buy a similar sized replacement. Some fish are absurdly priced, a few pounds/dollars here and there is ok? What if you had a few grand in a pair of stingray?

I think the health of the animal whatever it is, should be the most important thing. The time it takes is irrelevant.

what are you talking about ph isnt balanced. this is common in a planted aquarium. i even have links for you.

Aquarium pH : To be or not to be considered?

If you have a planted tank, you can observe considerable pH fluctuations during day and night hours. When there is light, plants carry out photosynthesis, taking in carbon-dioxide and giving out oxygen. This raises your tank's pH. At night plants respire, taking in oxygen and giving out carbon-dioxide. This reduces pH.

this part in particular talks about the ph change experienced in plated aquarium when they switch from photosynthesis to they respire state.
do you have a planted aquarium to have seen this or are you just going by your reading and findings?

here are some other forums where people talk about the simlar thing in a planted aqurium

CO2 on/off and pH fluctuations - Aquarium Plants
PH level - Aquariums Forum - GardenWeb

its just let when your tap water gasses out but it happens all the time. i hope those links help. remember this is in a planted aquarium!

maybe other people are right.
and it is my choice. thats why i only purchase my discus from one lfs or my breeders now. so i know they have no parasites, also i dont qt without meds. i use paragaurd right away. also i payed 79.99 for my red marlboro and obviously im not just gonna through that money away so please stop suggesting things like i dont by saying

If some parasites/bacteria survive for 70+ days how long do you quarantine for in an unmedicated tank? 2 days enough? 10 days maybe? The choice is yours.
So it's ok to get it wrong and try again if you want, it isn't criminal. Perhaps unethical to a point but it is ok.

that has nothing to do with the point and hand in the first place. thread rules require you to stay on topic. and the topic is ph swings which i am right with the point i put out. just like you said its ok for you to get it wrong.

sorry for the rant op but ph swings in a planted aquarium happen its fact!

If your pH swings, check and adjust Kh (where possible)
Use O2 when the plants do. If the plants are producing O2, stop using O2.

You will see and measure a much tighter set of numbers.

I have a planted (neutral/medium hardness)
a sandy plant free (soft/6.8)
a bare bottom brackish (1.007 SG)
a planted bare bottom(neutral/soft)
sandy cold high O2 laminar flow (7.4/medium)
a mixed grade mostly sand (soft/6.8).

All the systems are different in some way, lighting and photoperiod, filtration, flow, O2, GH, Kh, pH, temp, salinity and fertilisation/filtration methods.

I'm working on my reef.

It is possible to control. It is possible not to get swings from 6.5/7.8 or whatever that figure was. If this wasn't a problem people wouldn't talk about it.

I'm not sure what your issue is here?

I never said that happend in an aquarium... I said the breeder tank was 7.8 which discus have bred in and you qt tank is 6.5.
I never said I had an issue I said in a planted tank a ph change is normal and you said it wasn't. I just put up some links showing you it does happen often. Now you say I have the issue?

Ask the man how many times I've quoted him elsewhere! Many more than with you here. Send him a pm.

I don't need to ask. It's ok lol calm down he was agreeing with me that's the only thing I said. Seemed like you were attacking me in your post. Seems like every once in a while we have a member on here who acts like they are the best (not saying you do) I've seen them come and go not that I've been here for a while but I have seen them come and go.

I don't need to ask. It's ok lol calm down he was agreeing with me that's the only thing I said. Seemed like you were attacking me in my post

Don't be daft, I'd have to knock your door to attack you. (Not the first time this has happened, see Jen. I put it down to difference of vocabulary or something)
Possibly you're American or from elsewhere? Somewhere not England?

Read post 16.

I never said that happend in an aquarium... I said the breeder tank was 7.8 which discus have bred in and you qt tank is 6.5.
I never said I had an issue I said in a planted tank a ph change is normal and you said it wasn't. I just put up some links showing you it does happen often. Now you say I have the issue?

You did say it happens and more wildly so.

Yeh a change of 0.3 seems important from something I have read but that does seem excessive.

I'm not saying the fish wouldn't appreciate a slower acclimatisation period but 5 days?

Are there any scientific sources that support the .3 claim?
All I see is evidence that it is a myth. A lot of people call it an old wives tale.
I totally believe in TDS/osmotic shock and temperature shock but I still don't yet believe in "pH shock" (doesn't mean I shouldn't - I just have yet to see the science and you know me)

Don't be daft, I'd have to knock your door to attack you. (Not the first time this has happened, see Jen. I put it down to difference of vocabulary or something)
Possibly you're American or from elsewhere? Somewhere not England?

Read post 16.

You did say it happens and more wildly so.

Um no actually I said a ph change happens in an planted aquarium yes but I said that the 7.8 - 6.5 was two different aquariums.

Are there any scientific sources that support the .3 claim?
All I see is evidence that it is a myth. A lot of people call it an old wives tale.
I totally believe in TDS/osmotic shock and temperature shock but I still don't yet believe in "pH shock" (doesn't mean I shouldn't - I just have yet to see the science and you know me)

I think pH shock is a misnomer. It is more likely the effect it has on nitrogenous waste toxicity, evident with fluctuating or different pH.

You know about the toxicity of ammonia nitrite and nitrate at different pH levels.
I know you know this!

So yes based on that, there is plenty of evidence.

I think pH shock is a misnomer. It is more likely the effect it has on nitrogenous waste toxicity, evident with fluctuating or different pH.

You know about the toxicity of ammonia nitrite and nitrate at different pH levels.
I know you know this!

So yes based on that, there is plenty of evidence.
Nitrogenous waste activity really has no relevance in a cycled aquarium.

Seems drastic. I couldn't see someone drip aclimating their discus purchased from 7.8 ph to their qt at 6.5 for 5 days.

Also in a planted tank you typically see changes like greater than this through out the day and night...

See I I never said that changes happens in an aquarium. I was referring to your .3 number when I said you see greater changes then this.

@Hobgob
Post 16,
Seems drastic. I couldn't see someone drip aclimating their discus purchased from 7.8 ph to their qt at 6.5 for 5 days.

Also in a planted tank you typically see changes like greater than this through out the day and night...

I read this as, you typically see changes greater than the quoted 6.5/7.8 over 24hrs.
:confused:

Late post edit, ok to post 38 (nice recovery)

Back
Top Bottom