Fish Died - How long before i can get a replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

Sadly one of my Platies died yesterday.

Not sure of the cause - he had no sign of disease, and all the other fish seem happy and fine. He wasn't very active since i bought him 3 weeks ago...

He died yesterday, and I wasn't sure how long i need to leave it before getting a replacement (I think I read somewhere that I should wait a week but can't remember where!)

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, NitrItes, NitrAtes?
How long has your tank been set up?

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, NitrItes, NitrAtes?
How long has your tank been set up?

Just did a test:

Ammonia = 0.5 ppm
Ph = 7.5
Nitrate = 20ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm

Tank has been set upfor 6 weeks...

Do you think it was the high Ph? any ideas how i get reduce it?

Cheers
Henry

henry1245 said:
Just did a test:

Ammonia = 0.5 ppm
Ph = 7.5
Nitrate = 20ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm

Cheers
Henry

Nope if ur ph has always being around 7.5, then it's not the cause. But ur ammonia is abit high and may have caused or played a role in ur fish death. U always wanna keep ur ammonia below .25ppm.

Do u have a quarantine tank? It's always good to have one. Suggest u get one that way u can treat ur sock/injured fish more efficiently next time.

I'm sorry for ur lost :(

Just did a test:

Ammonia = 0.5 ppm
Ph = 7.5
Nitrate = 20ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm

Cheers
Henry

You need to do a PWC ASAP ... 75%. Those ammo readings are basically toxic levels for fish.

You need to do a PWC ASAP ... 75%. Those ammo readings are basically toxic levels for fish.

I did a 30% water change this morning, should i do another one tomorrow?

After reading up on it, i'm thinking perhaps a daily 30% PWC until the levels drop - ?

Is it worth buying some Ammo-lock or Prime from the LFS to make the ammonia less harmful or simply crack on with the daily PWC?

I did a 50% water change at 7am this morning, just did a check (5 hours later) and it's reading at just above 0...

Will check again later but fingers crossed that has sorted it!!

Thanks for all your help and advice guys!

(i'm still fairly new to the hobby so am still learning, unfortunately I learnt the hard way this time, but hopefully no more fish losses from now on!)

Henry

Back
Top Bottom