Fish dive bombing (scratching)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaedon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I noticed several fish in my 75g Malawi setup diving into the sand appearing to scratch themselves. There are no signs of disease (discoloration, spots, redness, gasping or any other syptoms). They all eat like pigs and seem healthy. However, the scratching is insane as they literally seem to bounce themselves of the substrate. Params are fine: 0 ammonia, o nitrates, 10ppm nitrates. Anyone ever seen something like this? Could it be the beginning of ich? Never seen ich without spots, but have seen this behavior in fish with ich. Aquarium is only a couple months old and was all stocked at the same time. So there are no new additions.

You shouldn't worry, its normal with African cichlids. Mine always seem to do it more when the temp is 81-82.

Just a little strange that they just started doing it. I keep the temp around 78 they seem to like that and are very active. If I go higher they tend to slow down and get lazy lol.

Normally. They get more active. Do you use salt?

Low salt content if any. That is something I didn't think about. I haven't added aquarium salt after water changes for the last couple of weeks.

Current stock (All are juvenile 2.5" or less)

6 Rusty cichlids (One known male, rest unknown)
6 Electric yellow labs ( Gender unknown )
3 Ngara flametails ( Gender unknown seem to hate eahc other probably all males lol)
2 Acei Msuli ( Gender unknown, Was 6, 4 died shrtly after arrival about a month ago no sign of disease )
3 Synodontis petricola ( Gender unknown less than an inch )
1 Synodontiz eupterus ( Unknown sex )
1 Rainbow Shark ( Unknown sex )

I am currently trying to replace my lost Acei's, but no one seems to have them local and I really don't want to order from thatpetplace again.

Trying to get a 1 to 3 male to female ratio.

Mine do that also every once in a while. I wouldn't worry about it. Just check your parameters.

Params are listed in the initial post and are in perfect order. I left out ph though which is 8.2. They seem to really be getting after their sides. I just seen my rainbow shark do it as well. Looks like he took off a few scales doing it.

I just use aquarium salt and add Kent Malawi minerals to it. You can Google Malawi salt mix and use that but then you need to add the minerals too. If you use Malawi salt then it should already have the minerals, I have been thinking of using it aswell. But I can only find it online.

I personally don't add any minerals. I do have some crushed coral in my sump which helps keep all my numbers pretty steady. If you can get your parameters steady then I believe that's better for the fish. They usually have issues when the numbers fluctuate. That's my experience though :).

Be carefully not to add too much normal aquarium salt unless you are treating disease. I use epsome salt. It helps digestion and adds minerals.

Back
Top Bottom