Fish Dying after PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slade

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When my power was restored after hurricane Sandy, I did my weekly 50% PWC on all my tanks, treated with Seachem Safe, matched temps and cleaned the filters. Within an hour after refilling half of my S. fryeri juveniles had died. The red zebras in the same tank are still ok. There were a lot of bubbles on the tank surfaces, and after some research, I'm guessing the problem was gas embolism from pressurized tap water. Annual risk of gas embolism from water changes • Cichlid-Forum

When doing PWC's this time of year, it's best to either age the new water before adding, or to hold the hose over the water and let it splash into the top instead of submersing it when filling. I'm not positive that this was the problem, but I thought I'd pass it on in case my experience helps someone else.

Often time after large storms water quality is compromised. The amount of human waste and bacteria reaches levels that are beyond what is safe for human consumption. It is possible you have contaminated water.

Back
Top Bottom