Fish Dying Everywhere!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smittyjr18

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 Gal High. It currently has 2 neons, 3 rasbora, 1 marble angel, and 4 panda corys. I used to have a dozen neons and 6 cardinal tetras and one additional angel. The tank has been setup for about 2 to 3 months and my PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels are fine. When the tank was first setup I added salt like the instructions said but I have not done so since. I have seen one neon display the possible signs of a worm or water lice. I have increased the temp in the take to 86F. I have also started to treat for some external parasites with Mardel Maracide. All of the neons ate just fine then one by one they died. I also just lost a angel and another neon today. The angel was eating and swimming fine. No indication of stress or clamped fins. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Question two.
I have heard that aquarium salt is bad/deadly to neons. Is this true?

Question Three.
Can i use DE from a pool filter in my Mag 350 or is there something special in the DE from the pet store?

I have heard that aquarium salt is bad/deadly to neons. Is this true?

i dont think so. i think it only affects plecos and corys. but i may be wrong. never had to use salt

Salt is bad for a lot of soft water fishes. The fish you mentioned above would be harmed by salt. As far as how, let me get back to you on that one.

Neons are very sensitive to higher temps. 85 is just too high for them and more than likely contributed to their deaths. :cry:

I just raised the temp in the last few days. My normal temp is about 80 - 82. That is wht i don't get? It seems like everything is ok but then they just drop like flies.

Well neons do better under 77. As far as salt...............most catfish and plecos don't fare well because salt irritates the body thus causing it to produce a protective slime coat. Most (if not all), catfish, plecos and loaches do not have the ability to produce enough of this slime coat and succumb.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom