Fish dying off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunscream13

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fish are dying and don't know why. My water is perfect and I'm treating for gill parasites now. Anyone have any other ideas of what it could be? No visible symptoms I can see.

Need to list everything about your tank and its parameters to include the stocking.

40 gallon tall. 2 German rams, 2 platys , 2 bristlenose, a fathead minnow, and one kuhli loach. PH at about 70. No ammonia , no nitrites, and minimal nitrates, hob filter. Driftwood , planted.

What are minimal nitrates?
Water change schedule ?
How old are the fish/tank? ( just two listed?)
What and how many fish died?
Temp?

It's at 80° nitrates are in safe zone not at 0 but close. This fishtank is a couple of months old but everything that was in my 10 gallon went into this one, dirt, wood, water and ran the old filter in the new tank

Couple things. Im not sure what exactly you mean by fathead minnow. Ive heard people use that common name with multiple species. Does not sound like your using a liquid test kit?

Temp is high imo. Though this is probably a secondary issue. 25 percent every two weeks is not sufficient imo. Having multiple pleco as well as other larger fish id be looking at parameters closer (tds) .

Did the fish that died show any visible distress or markings.

It's a common minnow you might get at a carnival aka rosey red minnow. None of my fish are large my biggest pleco is 3.5 inches and the other is about 3 inches the rams are tiny as are the platys. I do use a liquid test kit and my tank is not over crowded by any means

No visible marks but they seem to be either twitchy or breathing hard

Do 50 percent wc watch fish and test would be my first action.

The plecos are fine and the loach seems fine too. And yes ammonia and nitrites are at 0. I even took a water sample into the wet pets near my for a 2nd opinion. They said it sounds like gill parasites so I started treatment

May be parasites. You may or may not see evidence of that.
I would not trust a lfs to test my water though.

Back
Top Bottom