Fish dying, pls help - urgent!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ich attack clears my parasites up in like, three days, about 14 bucks for a big bottle, but since every tank seems to get it at one time or another, it's worth it. Salt works too, but I've never used it before, so someone else will help you there. And definitely trash the strips and go liquid. You'll pay more in the long run for replacing dead fish with the strips then if you just go liquid in the first place.

...as for salt...IF part of your problem is ich, it can be treated with salt, but just get plain old pickling or kosher salt from the grocery store. Don't waste your money on "aquarium salt". Salt may help decrease the effects of stress, at the right dose, and can also help get your fish thru one of the phases of the nitrogen cycle...but I have not experienced that problem myself so someone else may be able to help there.

Right now, I would invest in the test kit before anything else. And read those links about the cycle. They will go a long way toward helping you and your fish.

I'd skip the salt for now. Strong, healthy fish can withstand parasites for awhile and it will only complicate your water changes needlessly. 50%+ at least once a day until you are able to maintain 0 ammonia and nitrite will get the fish through. Then, if able to positively ID it as ich, treat with salt and elevated temp. JMO

Thank you all so much! I don't think I could have done another fish funeral. John, George and Ringo are grateful too I'm sure!

and +1 with the twice a day water change until you get a liquid test...it helps so much...i can say that from experience.

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom