Fish emergency!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Andy!!! I just try to create a sterile environment. My method has always worked and I think this poor fellow was just so ill. He's maintaing in his pot perm bath but we will see what tomorrow will bring. I have seachem kanplex (kanamycin), focus, and metronidazole. I will try these after his bath.

I'd strongly suggest the Kanplex first while going to the store and asking them for a treatment's worth of furazone (for free) since they obviously sold you a tainted fish. ( I'd be happy tho with a reduced price for the med :brows:). You can explain what you do with your fish as preventative which makes the timing only prove that the fish was infected before you got it. A reasonable store should help you out (y)

( PS: I'm a former manager of a reasonable store so I know ;) )

Good luck (y)

I'd strongly suggest the Kanplex first while going to the store and asking them for a treatment's worth of furazone (for free) since they obviously sold you a tainted fish. ( I'd be happy tho with a reduced price for the med :brows:). You can explain what you do with your fish as preventative which makes the timing only prove that the fish was infected before you got it. A reasonable store should help you out (y)

( PS: I'm a former manager of a reasonable store so I know ;) )

Good luck (y)

These are the experts that Brookster as talking about!! Brilliant!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395114280.806346.jpg

After first potassium permanganate bath. Might be in my head but I think it looks a smidge better.

So if this is culmanaris then I should just go ahead and pot perm the other guy who looks fine?

Much obliged Andy. I can't get my hands on the nitrofurazone in my town so hopefully the potassium permaganate bath helps and the metronozodile and kanaplex works. I suspect Baytril would help some to. Your response came quite quick! In fact everyone's did. I don't usually get such an abundance of responses so thanks everyone!

If you have a Walmart in your town, Fungus Guard by Jungle Labs has furazone in it so I'd use that if you can't get straight Nitrofurazone. I had the same problem finding meds where I am and found this accidentally. ( More than one way to skin that cat :brows: ) (y)

View attachment 228722

After first potassium permanganate bath. Might be in my head but I think it looks a smidge better.

You are going to need a 3 prong approach to get this fish better.
#1- Stop the infection ( Which the Pot Perm bath will help do. ( Yes do the other fish as well)

#2- keep the wound from getting a secondary infection ( the Kanamycin should do this along with furazone if you can get it.)

#3- keep the fish healthy and away from other fish that might attack the wound and eat the flesh while the tissue heals. ( Which is going to take some time based on the damage in the picture. ) I've seen fish with worse make it so don;t give up hope. It's just going to be a long haul unfortunately :(

Here's what I have In my medicine cabinet: mardel Maracyn, API fungus cure (it doesn't have furan), simply betta, prazi pro, pot perm, salt, mela and prima fix. I will hunt for furan tomorrow.

Shall I continue with a 4 hour pot perm bath daily till I find furan?

Here's what I have In my medicine cabinet: mardel Maracyn, API fungus cure (it doesn't have furan), simply betta, prazi pro, pot perm, salt, mela and prima fix. I will hunt for furan tomorrow.
Okay, Maracyn is just Eurethromycin. The Kanamycin is better. The key ingredient you are looking for in any med you can find is Nitrofurazone with any of it's derivatives or other names ( Furazone green, Furazolidone, Furacin, Nitrofural, Furan 2) as a back up. Prazi is for parasites and I'm not sure of what med is in simply Betta.

Happy hunting (y)

Okay, Maracyn is just Eurethromycin. The Kanamycin is better. The key ingredient you are looking for in any med you can find is Nitrofurazone with any of it's derivatives or other names ( Furazone green, Furazolidone, Furacin, Nitrofural, Furan 2) as a back up. Prazi is for parasites and I'm not sure of what med is in simply Betta.

Happy hunting (y)

Is this the right stuff?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395120293.746159.jpg

Looking at what they have on eBay incase I can't find it around here.

Tetra bought out Jungle quite awhile ago and unfortunately discontinued quite a few decent products. Is there a Petsmart near you? They sell both Furan2 (API) and Tetra Fungus (old Jungle fungus product). Both contain the nitrofura antibiotic you are looking for. I would be a bit hesitant to purchase a fish med off of EBay unless it was a brand name with an expiration date or a trusted seller. Amazon may be a bit more reliable and can overnight items if needed.

Tetra bought out Jungle quite awhile ago and unfortunately discontinued quite a few decent products. Is there a Petsmart near you? They sell both Furan2 (API) and Tetra Fungus (old Jungle fungus product). Both contain the nitrofura antibiotic you are looking for. I would be a bit hesitant to purchase a fish med off of EBay unless it was a brand name with an expiration date or a trusted seller. Amazon may be a bit more reliable and can overnight items if needed.

Agreed. Buying meds on Ebay can be tricky. Always confirm expiration dates but also consider that the med may not have been kept properly so it may not be at full strength.

RIP mr fish! Now you needa focus on the other one to make sure he doesn't pass too!
ABSOLUTELY! I'd give the other one a Pot Perm bath A.S.A.P. to kill off any possible pathogens that may be on him through contact.

He died last night :(. :(. :(.
Sorry to hear this. It was a drastic case so it should not be totally unexpected. I would return the fish to the store and ask for credit on it (not necessarily a replacement from this same batch of fish.) Explaining what you did for him as well as the timing is going to be your best argument for credit. ( IMO ;))

On a side note, it would not be a bad idea to have a med such as Nitrofurazone in your medicine chest. (Tetra's Fungus cure, API's Furan-2, NFP's Nitrofuracin Green Powder will do as well) Situations like yours needs to be treated quickly so timing is everything. The sooner you can medicate, the better the fish's chances of surviving.
Here is a link to the page with Nitrofuracin Green on NFP's website. Just scroll down to it so you can read it's info. Fish Medication - Products Page 3

Once again, my condolences :(

Back
Top Bottom