Fish Flashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdude25

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my 75 gallon, I have noticed that some of my fish are flashing. It started 2 weeks ago when I got some new corydoras from my LFS. Only one of the corys has been flashing, as far as I can tell. I have seen a cory, bolivian ram, 4 of my platys, and my rainbow shark flash. I got some new platys 4 days ago, and 3 of the new ones I have seen flash. No other visible signs of sickness as far as I can tell.
Total stock is:
10 Harlequin Rasboras,
17 Cardinal Tetras,
12 Platys (8 FM, 4 M),
8 Green Corydoras,
3 FM Swordtails,
6 Otocinclus,
3 Mystery Snails,
2 Bolivian Rams,
2 Angelfish,
and 1 Rainbow shark.
I keep the tank at 78 degrees F. and do 1 50-70% pwc every 6-10 days. I tested my water today: ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0? I don't know why the nitrate tested as 0. I re-tested today, and also got 0 for nitrate. I am guessing that I am not doing it correctly.
How do I cure the flashing? More frequent pwcs? I am going to do a 70 % water change in a little bit.
Thanks in advance!
-Fishdude25

Sometimes flashing can be a sign of parasites, I notice my cory's doing it occasionally and they are very healthy. Might depend how regularly they are doing it, my male Bolivian does it round his little area as a dominate sign.
If your using the API nitrate test, bang bottle 2 off a table or hard surface and shake like mad, it helps with an accurate reading - known problem.

Borderlesscott said:
Sometimes flashing can be a sign of parasites, I notice my cory's doing it occasionally and they are very healthy. Might depend how regularly they are doing it, my male Bolivian does it round his little area as a dominate sign.
I have seen each fish flash around 1-3 times a day or so.
Borderlesscott said:
If your using the API nitrate test, bang bottle 2 off a table or hard surface and shake like mad, it helps with an accurate reading - known problem.
Ok, I will test for nitrate again tomorrow. Thanks!

I haven't posted in a while, I've been pretty busy with school starting back up. I am going to do a 70% water change today. My bolivian ram flashed a few times yesterday. One of my cardinal tetras has also started flashing. I tested the water a few days ago and got 0 for nitrate again. :confused: I will test again today. I am going to cut back on feeding a bit, and try to do 2 water changes a week (schedule permitting, but at least 1 for sure). I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom